Head Legal Cashier - South London
Head Legal Cashier - South London - £45,000 +
My nationally recognised legal client is currently interviewing for a Head Legal Cashier. This is a critical role that will have a lot of responsibility in the function and line management responsibility for a small team of legal cashiers.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Financial Controller to ensure compliance with the SRA Accounts Rules and anti-money laundering regulations.
This role will report directly to the Financial Controller, with key areas of responsibility will be:
- Operation of the firm’s client and office bank accounts, including timely reconciliation of all bank accounts, monitoring receipts, making/authorising payments, identifying and effecting transfers, managing remittance advices and liaising with the firm’s bankers.
- Accurate and timely recording of all banking and disbursement transactions, including reconciling bank accounts, posting disbursement transactions, and posting receipts and payments.
- The management of expense claims, including checking validity, posting transactions and making payments.
- Interest calculations on client money.
- Liaison with fee earners regarding balances (disbursement or client money), including interpreting ledger reports to assist in the management of matters.
- Monitoring compliance with SRA Accounts Rules, including identifying, reporting and remedying any breaches and recommending action to improve compliance.
- Leading and managing the team, ensuring adequate cover is in place at all times, delivering timely feedback on performance (both day to day and with regards to formal appraisals), identifying training needs and managing their delivery and generally supporting the team.
- Being alert to process improvement opportunities and assist on their delivery once adequate consultation has been completed to agree their implementation. Maintaining adequate controls must be a key consideration in all process changes.
You are likely to be an experienced legal cashier, with possible line management responsibility for staff. Candidates should have;
- Thorough knowledge of SRA Accounts Rules and their practical application
- Significant experience of legal cashiering, required to meet exacting standards in a timely manner
- Experience of Elite (or a similar financial system) with demonstrable skills in understanding the screens and reports available
- Experience of legal cashiering sufficient to contribute to the identification, design and implementation of process improvements
- Strong IT skills, particularly in relation to Excel
- Organised and able to work independently
- A team player with proven experience of collaborative working
- Good verbal and written skills, with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Experience of working directly with fee earners and the proven ability to build effective relationships with senior stakeholders in a law firm
- Proactive in their approach
- An ability to lead and direct a team
- Professional, personable and approachable but firm