Senior Data Scientist
An opportunity to play a key role in a growing Manchester-based company - you’ll join a small community of data and business improvement specialists operating within a larger fast paced business.
You’ll have a passion for quantitative analysis and will have the ability to draw business insights which will add real value. You will need to demonstrate the ability to learn quickly and will have worked in a fast paced and collaborative environment
Your role will be focused on the following:
- Identify potential business opportunities and scope/design approaches to capture those opportunities
- Translate business needs to technical requirements and AB-tests, then work with development teams to ensure correct implementation and tracking
- Develop an analysis strategy and perform analysis of complex scenarios and AB-tests, both systematically and on a one-off basis.
- Carefully check, debug, and problem solve issues to ensure you deliver accurate and clear analysis and reports, even when confronted by subtle data complications
- Provide an analytics perspective to discussions and helping to drive the priorities within your team
You’re not expected to have all of these skills from day one, you will be expected to learn and develop in each of the following five areas:
- Business Insight: The ability to understand problems and issues the business wants to solve, and then defined the right data, analysis or interpretation to lead to the right recommendations and decisions
- SQL: The ability to write complex SQL queries to analyse databases and work effectively with relational database systems.
- Analytical coding: Using tools such as R, Python (and also Excel)
- Statistics: Understanding the appropriate statistical or machine learning techniques to use in different circumstances.
- Communication: Designing good ways of communicating, visualising or reporting your results/analysis so they are clear and unambiguous
Specific experience that might be helpful, but is not required, includes: experience in sophisticated customer-facing digital businesses; robust understanding of more advanced statistical techniques suitable for analysis of highly skewed populations; experience in predictive analytics, segmentation, and related areas; experience in experimental design; software engineering skills in Java and other languages; skills with standard reporting tools such as QlikView/Tableau/etc.
The basic salary is to £60,000 + bonus, pension, healthcare and other benefits.