Head of Finance
The Enterprise Division is the largest of the divisions in the Utilitywise Group, currently making up the majority of the revenue and profit of the Group. The Head of Finance role will report to the CFO but also form a key financial interface with the Managing Director of the Enterprise Division, helping to ensure timely and accurate reporting of the performance of the business to enable optimal management decisions to be made. The successful applicant will be able to deliver insightful analysis of business issues, acting as a business partner to non-finance colleagues, to help ensure that the business delivers against targets, whilst simultaneously ensuring that the Enterprise financial records are maintained to a very high standard. This role will involve strong challenge to existing processes and mindsets to help optimise business performance.
- Line responsibility for Enterprise finance team
- Coaching and development of the team to ensure continuous improvement to its output
- Regular (sometimes daily) interface with operational teams, including attendance at regular meetings to provide financial guidance, insight, projections and challenge
- Daily/weekly revenue reporting and monthly profit reporting and re-forecasting
- Ensure that team carries out month-end ledger close to a fixed timescale and high quality
- Year-end close with ledgers at an exceptional standard
- Full understanding, analysis and insight around key partner relationships and impact on revenue, cash flow and profit
- Accurate cash flow forecasting for Enterprise division
- Annual budgets and periodic reforecasts, along with subsequent monitoring of divergence from budget/forecast and proactive engagement with other areas of the business to correct divergence. This will involve working alongside the CFO to hold non-financial management to account if their actions cause a divergence from financial targets
- Appraisal of, and improvement to, suite of management information from the Enterprise business
- Liaison with operational finance teams, including sales processing and objections teams.
- Appraisal of existing financial and (to the extent that they impact the financial results of the business) non-financial systems and processes.
- If appropriate, work with the CFO to plan/execute upgrade/improvement/replacement of systems/processes
- Critical appraisal of financial business and investment cases, including internal rate of return and payback period assessments
Any other ad-hoc work required by the business
- Experience of managing a team to deliver expectation-surpassing outputs to internal customers within a fast-paced business, including monthly ledger close to tight timescales and exceptional standard.
- Stakeholder management outside of finance function, including operational/commercial experience of driving performance
Experience of identifying variances to expectation and holding key stakeholders to account
Experience of change implementation to drive improvements in MI outputs and consequential performance improvement in a high-volume/complex environment
Personal qualities, aptitudes and skills
- Demonstrable track record of driving results through influencing and collaborating with stakeholders
- Able to multi-task and manage both financial and non-financial stakeholders, across different hierarchical levels both inside and outside of the organisation
- Good communication skills - able to handle issues that are esoteric and/or involve large amounts of data and distil them into simple summaries for relevant senior management to understand
- Strong personality and able to engage in robust discussion with financial and non-financial senior management - key that can "hold your own" in those discussions and debates
- Commercially credible, someone able to command respect, engender confidence and hold their own amongst the Executive Leadership team.
- Must be prepared and eager to challenge the status quo around sub-optimal processes
- Experience of coaching and developing teams to deliver exceptional outputs, including for both internal customers and for external reporting where required
- Candidates need to demonstrate that they share our values and have a good understanding of customer service.
- Open, engaging, non-political style
Low ego, straightforward and a team player. Other essential qualities include high levels of engagement and commitment, strong commercial instincts, a supportive and accessible style and a sense of humour.