Project Manager - £40k - £60k depending on experience. Excellent benefits
Project Manager - £40k - £60k depending on experience. Excellent benefits.
Working with a highly public-facing organisation based in Birmingham, this position in concerned with the successful delivery of an extremely broad range of large-scale projects. You do not require deep expertise in in any particular discipline, rather you will be an SME in the art of Project Management.
Projects are highly varied and tend to be reasonably weighty / strategic in nature, running for between 6 months and 2 years.
Previous experience in the transportation or logistics sectors would be of interest, but is certainly not a requirement and applications from all industry backgrounds will be considered.
Key stakeholders include a PMO manager and project sponsors (including senior executives and users), senior suppliers as well as finance, procurement and information security teams.
Role requirements include
- Running projects on a day-to-day basis on behalf of the Sponsor/Executive:
- Delivering projects with a successful outcome with key focus on the business case.
- Working with project team members to ensure that the projects produce the required products to the required standard of safety and quality, within specified time, and cost constraints
- All activities required to support delivery: products, team, plan, risks, change, suppliers, reporting
- In practice, this means taking responsibility for:
- Leading a cross-business and multi-functional project team, and day-to-day supplier management
- Delivery of an outcome, including those aspects which are outside your direct control
- Decisions, even when based on the advice of an internal expert (or suppliers). The role holder must be prepared to challenge such advice until it is properly understood.
- Holding others accountable for delivering outcomes
- Actively managing risks, issues and dependencies
- Actively identifying and removing obstacles to progress
- Agreeing tolerances with the Sponsor/Executive for project health indicators (budget, risk, schedule, scope, resource, quality) and escalating breaches immediately
The PMO has a responsibility to provide coordination and support to Sponsors/Executives and Project Managers across the business to ensure that projects are integrated with the overall programme and implemented consistently. The Project Manager will need to take advice and guidance from the PMO and work in accordance with agreed governance.
- Ability to manage suppliers to deliver (essential)
- Previous experience of project delivery, particularly under the aegis of a PMO (essential)
- Aptitude and interest to learn and apply project management tools and techniques within the organisations’ governance model (essential)
- Prince 2 Foundation qualification (essential)
- Prince 2 Practitioner qualification (in last 10 years) (desirable)
- Pre-existing knowledge of project management tools and techniques including Microsoft Project (essential)
- Development of project plans, including resource estimation and allocation (essential)
This role does not include budgetary responsibility (although you would be responsible for recording and reporting on the project finances), and there are no direct reports. Indirect reports will vary depending on the projects being managed.