Membership & Retail Supervisor
It’s an exciting time for our team at The Workhouse; we’re looking for a talented Membership & Retail Supervisor to help with the development of our team, and help them to continue to beat targets. If you’ve had previous experience of face-to-face sales and working to targets, and also enjoy working with people, then this role could be ideal for you.
Please be aware that you’ll be working 5 days per week, including some weekends, from February to November, dropping to one day per week through the property’s winter closure (November to the end of January).
This role is based on annualised hours, where the amount of hours you will work each month may vary, however your salary will be paid in 12 equal instalments over the year.
What it's like to work here
Walking up the pauper’s path towards The Workhouse, it’s easy to imagine how the Victorian poor might have felt as they sought refuge here. This austere building, the most complete workhouse in existence, was built in 1824 as a place of last resort for the destitute. Its architecture was influenced by prison design and its harsh regime became a blueprint for workhouses throughout the country.
This rural workhouse was designed to house around 160 inmates. They lived and worked in a strictly segregated environment with virtually no contract between the old and infirm, able bodied men and women and children.
The stories of those who lived and worked here in the 1840s help bring the building to life and prompt reflection on how society has tackled poverty throughout the years.
What you'll be doing
As our Membership & Retail Supervisor, you’ll manage our busy Visitor Welcome and Retail team and volunteers to ensure they deliver exceptional service, every time, to everyone. Alongside the team, you’ll be actively promoting the benefits of National Trust membership to our visitors, and also promote the benefits of Gift Aid. You’ll also ensure that the team are complying with our processes and procedures, minimising risk to the public, staff and our volunteers.
You’ll be responsible for ensuring that our visitor welcome and retail area is a welcoming environment and presented perfectly, this will include ensuring that our brand is kept consistent throughout, and using our merchandising guidelines to create enticing and exciting displays. You’ll also monitor our stock levels, and oversee our cash handling processes to ensure we remain compliant with current legislation.
Who we're looking for
To deliver this role successfully, you’ll need to have;
- Great people skills and be able to work well as part of a team
- Experience of face-to-face sales
- Some knowledge and experience of handling budgets
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good attention to detail
- Strong IT skills
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking