Head of Research Finance
This high-profile London based not for profit organisation is looking to recruit a Head of Research Finance to manage a comprehensive finance service to the research budget holders and senior management. Leading a team of research accounting staff, it is essential to ensure that the research and scientific teams are adhering to key financial processes and compliance activities in respect to all their grant funded activities.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Finance, your daily duties will include:
- Lead the financial administration of external research funding, and ensure that all relevant claims, grant reconciliations and statements are completed on time
- Lead an ongoing improvement programme to identify and implement more efficient and effective Research Finance processes
- Ensure that award budgets are loaded in line with the financial cycle of each grant, and that award income and expenditure are being monitored against budget
- Oversee the provision of effective financial information on all awards, to allow research teams to manage their grants
- Maintain an up-to-date record of key financial elements of the current terms and conditions of all major funders, identifying any issues arising from changes, communicating these to internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure that the full cost of externally funded research activity is met by respective grants, in so far as this is allowed by the funder terms and conditions
- Provide financial management of strategic research awards, including research centre and infrastructure funding
- Ensure that the monthly finance timetable is adhered to in respect of research finance tasks, including timely loading of grant budgets, processing of grant accrual and prepayments
- Lead, manage and motivate a team to deliver against key objectives
The successful candidate will be a ACA/CIMA/ACCA qualified who possesses extensive experience within a similar grant funding environment. You must have an interest in and commitment to providing accounting support within a scientific research environment. You must possess high attention to detail and have strong influencing skills whilst possessing first class written and verbal communication skills and possess the ability to communicate complex financial information to non-finance staff.
For this role, it is essential that you have excellent systems skills including being an advanced user of Excel, whilst a working knowledge of Agresso would provide a distinct advantage.