Senior Research Manager- Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning Specialist
Job title: Senior Research Manager- Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning Specialist
Salary: From £35,000 per annum, depending on experience
What it’s about
The Research and Thought Leadership Group is looking for a Senior Research Manager to lead a range of research projects on cutting-edge Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning technologies. You will also be responsible for the on-going development of our existing automated speech and text scoring systems.
What you’ll be doing
You will join a team of language assessment experts and collaborate with colleagues across the organisation. You will work closely with Institute for Automated Language Teaching and Assessment (ALTA), of the University of Cambridge, to apply automated scoring technologies in assessment and learning offering.
- Establish the design and performance objectives of automated assessment and learning systems.
- Liaise with test development teams and ALTA to investigate and resolve operational problems of the speech and text auto-markers.
- Develop research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations on the further improvement of the existing auto-markers, including developing new scoring features and automated diagnostic feedback products and services.
- Design and implement the Cambridge English automated scoring research agenda. Plan project schedule, assign tasks and delegate responsibilities to the research support team.
- Monitor the standards of scientific and technical research on automated scoring and feedback.
What we’re looking for
A Doctoral degree in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Information Engineering, Artificial Intelligence or a related discipline is required.
Coding proficiency in C, Python or Perl is required. Proficiency in Lua and Matlab is desirable.
At least two years of work experience related to ASR and NLP is required. Experience can be gained through studies.
Experience of working effectively in a cross-institutional research team.
Why is your work so important
- You will help us deliver amazing assessment and learning experiences to millions of English language learners worldwide.
- You will play a pivotal role in shaping our idea of creating a next-generation English language assessment and learning system for the digital age.
Who we are
Cambridge Assessment English is a department of the University of Cambridge. We provide exams in English for speakers of other languages taken by over 5 million candidates worldwide each year, as well as the leading range of qualifications for language teachers.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a market leader and be rewarded with valuable learning opportunities, a competitive salary, and benefits.
- Generous contributory pension
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Annual performance related bonus and increases (discretionary)
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay and childcare voucher scheme
- Employee discount and cash back scheme at 1,200 retailers
- Cycle scheme
- Subsidised canteens
Work/life balance is important to us here at Cambridge Assessment, and we offer all our colleagues a range of flexible working options, which suit both the business and the employee. So please let us know of any flexible working requirements when applying and we can see how we can support you.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 28/01/2018 and interviews will be held on 22 February.
As part of your recruitment process you will be required to undergo a background screening. This will be carried out by our selected supplier, Credence Background Screening Limited.