Our Client, UKAEA, based in Culham, has recently opened a purpose built division, Materials Research Facility (MRF). The new MRF is designed to test irradiated materials for both the Fusion and Fission materials development programmes and will be used by UKAEA as well as industry and academia. The new facility needs a mechanical engineer to support the MRF with the development of mechanical systems for sample logistics and sample loading systems and as team member for new developments. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a start up and grow with the organisation.
In the MRF in-house prepared micro- and macro-sized samples will be unloaded from the hot-cell line (= medium shielded environment for irradiated materials) and transported to one of the ten Research Rooms (RR) where the actual sample evaluation occurs. Each RR will house a (different) scientific installation, varying from microscopic, thermo-physical and mechanical nature. In the IC the sample will be loaded into and unloaded from one of the scientific installation via mechanical systems. At this moment over 10 different scientific instruments and installations need to be integrated using remote handling and in need of supporting systems.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
* Part of the design team to design and execute of the generic loading system and the scientific equipment specific systems and supporting systems.
* Compiling the manuals and writing the maintenance schemes for the developed equipment.
* Participate in other development teams for evaluation and review tasks within the MRF team.
Essential Aptitudes and Experience
* Experience with mechanical system engineering.
* Capable of letting things happen (being selective in use of design tools, proto-typing for trials and realisation of the product).
* Managing the "bureaucracy" associated with the related organisations (internal and external).
* Capable to work both in a small (project) team as well as fully self-supported.
* Proven experience in the design of mechanical systems
* Proven experience in the execution of in-house design systems (including build, purchase, assembly and testing of the systems).
* Experience with mechanical remote-control systems
Please note, the Client has assessed this role to fall inside IR35 and therefore, the contract is offered on PAYE or Umbrella basis ONLY.
All successful applicants must undertake BPSS clearance, all costs covered by end Client
Please use the link to send in your CV
Rullion is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.