Senior Manager Research Analyst
Barnett Waddingham is a partner-led business which prides itself in providing straightforward and well communicated pensions advice. This philosophy means that we are dependent on talented and well trained employees who enjoy working in a closely knit and friendly organisation. Our growth has been significant since our creation in 1989. We aim to continue this growth by recruiting people who share in Barnett Waddingham’s values.
The Investment Consulting Practice Area provides investment consultancy services to the pension schemes of UK companies and to some other clients such as charities. Barnett Waddingham is committed to providing the best possible service to all of its clients and to achieve this service we need talented, motivated and enthusiastic people.
The Manager Research team sits within the Investment Consulting Practice Area as a knowledge base for matters relating to investment management companies and the funds they manage.
The role typically reports to a Team Leader or Associate and involves working closely with all members of the Manager Research team as well as the wider Investment Consulting Practice.
- Regular communication with investment management companies.
- Data requests to investment managers, typically for fund performance and other key information.
- Maintaining in-house databases.
- Analysis and charting of investment funds and products.
- Putting forward views and challenging those of others.
- Producing reports that recommend investment managers to clients.
- Conducting research meetings with investment managers.
- Peer reviews of reports.
- Helping to train new graduates/colleagues.
- Accurate and timely completion of time sheets.
- Pursuing relevant professional qualifications such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries (FIA).
- Researching new and/or technical topics and reporting back to the team.
- Any other reasonable task as advised from time-to-time
- Support, Implement and Maintain Information Security procedures and activities in accordance to Barnett Waddingham’s Information Security Policy
The above is intended to describe the general nature and responsibilities of the role and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties or responsibilities of employees in this role.
Professionalism: Shows ability to receive and understand information and another person’s point of view in a business situation; consistently delivers personal responsibilities; written work is presented in a logical and organised way; takes responsibility for self-development; presents own opinion in a calm and confident manner; seeks exposure to complex work; develops own written style and coaches others in their written work; conveys information in a written form that is clear and concise.
Delivering Results and Continuous Improvement: Displays capability in presenting basic information to an individual in person, by phone or in writing; plans and organises effectively; strives to fill gaps in expertise.
Working with Clients: The Manager Research Analyst role has little regular contact with clients so this competency is of less relevance.
Team Work & Leadership: Develops and manages own working relationships within the team; demonstrates flexibility with others; demonstrates clear communication with others; is adaptable in changing circumstances and offers support to other team members.
Self Motivation - takes personal responsibility for work.
Problem Solving - investigates queries raised by team members; understands who is best placed to research into, or answer, other queries.
Planning and Organising - manages own workload effectively and is aware of the workload of the wider team; able to delegate work to other team members to ensure timescales are met.
Communication of technical issues - is able to explain technical issues in simplified terms to colleagues and more junior team members.
Experience of the following;
leading research meetings with investment managers
preparing detailed research notes
forming opinions on managers with robust supporting rationale with the ability to defend those opinions
guide and support client-facing consultants when appointing or reviewing managers
Good technical knowledge of investment strategies.
An industry qualification such as CFA or CAIA would be desirable.
Key Deliverables (Objectives)
- Develop knowledge and form opinions.
- Complete work on time.
- Support team.
- Pass exams.