Catering & Retail Assistant
Working for the National Trust means working for an organisation who are at the forefront of preserving the UK’s precious past, and delivering innovative solutions to make our environment sustainable for the future. We are a charity and funding is key. We need to constantly generate finances to do what we do, so as well as being Europe’s leading heritage organisation, we are very customer service focused. We offer fantastic career opportunities in the most fabulous places to work in the UK, where unforgettable experiences are shared every day. Working for us means working with extremely passionate people, in amazing locations for a fundamentally essential cause. What better reason to get out of bed every morning?
This role is for 32.5 hours per week (five days per week, including most weekends) from February to November. We review staffing structures and needs after each season, and depending on visitor numbers and staffing requirements there is the possibility that this contract could be extended.
What it's like to work here
Walking up the paupers' path towards The Workhouse it is easy to imagine how the Victorian poor might have felt as they sought refuge here. This austere building, the most complete workhouse in existence, was built in 1824 as a place of last resort for the destitute. Its architecture was influenced by prison design and its harsh regime became a blueprint for workhouses throughout the country.
This rural workhouse was designed to house around 160 inmates. They lived and worked in a strictly segregated environment with virtually no contact between the old and infirm, able-bodied men and women and children.
The stories of those who lived and worked here in the 1840s help bring the building to life and prompt reflection on how society has tackled poverty through the centuries.
What you'll be doing
With your love of working with people and desire to provide an excellent service, you’ll work across both our catering and retail operations to make sure all visitors have an outstanding customer experience. You’ll acknowledge, welcome and engage every visitor, offering them help and advice with their purchases and look for ways to go the extra mile to make their experience memorable.
As a key member of our catering and retail team, you’ll ensure that all stock is available, displayed in a pleasing way, is correctly priced and available for purchase. You’ll look to maximise the profit and sales generated at our special places by ensuring that every opportunity is taken to increase our sales and average customer spend, whilst informing customers of the amazing work we are doing and what their money is funding - whether this is financing local projects or promoting our national strategy, cause and membership offer.
Who we're looking for
Our team believe that people deserve more than just 'good service’ but an amazing experience they’ll never forget, and we are looking for like-minded people to join us
You'll need to;
- Have fantastic customer service skills
- Have clear communication skills
- Can easily identify with customer needs
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Have some cash handling experience
- Have a good eye for detail
- Have a can do attitude and willingness to learn
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking