Financial Accountant: International Programmes
Based: Milton Keynes with part-flexible working options available
‘Your leadership and financial accounting expertise will help change children’s lives for the better’
World Vision is the world’s largest international children’s charity. Every day we bring real hope to millions of children in the world’s hardest places as a sign of God’s unconditional love. At World Vision, our aim is simple – to keep every child free from fear. We are also proud to be ranked 9thplace in the top 100 ‘Best Not-For-Profit Organisations to Work For' in 2016.
The Programme Finance and Compliance (PFC) team exists to ensure effective financial and legal management, compliance and control of World Vision UK (WVUK)’s overseas emergency and development programmes – a portfolio of c. £85m per year –that are funded by individual donations, accountable grants and commercial contracts. The team has been newly created to provide a solid financial framework for expected growth in size and complexity of this portfolio. In order to deliver this an effective operational foundation with continued improvement of systems, policies, processes and procedures is essential. In addition provision of technical financial advice for decision making, management and compliance at project and portfolio level is required.
This role will work alongside a group of other financial, legal and programme management professionals to establish a high functioning team that helps to delivers positive change in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children.This is an exciting opportunity for a professional with an audit or financial accounting background to put a stamp on the organisation. We are interested in a candidate able to make a medium to long-term commitment to the cause, and in turn the head of the team is keen on investing in the career & leadership development of the right individual.
- Apply judgement and initiative in the design, simplification and implementation of control activities to improve the Policy and Programmes Group’s complex financial control environment, balancing assurance and agility. Negotiate with the key stakeholders on PFC team’s processes and compliance with policies incl. behaviours and timeframes.
- Proactively plan and manage the PFC team’s monthly financial accounting and control activities and provide corresponding training, coaching and development.
- Feed into the development and delivery of a new digital programmes financial management system.
- Coordinate audits and other assurance work such as due diligence on sub-contractors.
- Act as in-team proactive authority and adviser on financial accounting and management matters and draw upon external experts, where appropriate. Build effective relationships with experts from external financial bodies and peer organisations to enhance and simplify the work of WVUK.
- Play a leadership role in the PFC team to inspire, motivate, coordinate, train, and provide prioritisation, escalating issues to the Head of Programme Finance & Compliance where appropriate.
As an active Christian, this role offers you the opportunity to integrate your Christian faith and be sensitive to its various expressions across cultures and denominations.
In addition to the salary offered, we offer good benefits including pension, subsidised gym membership, generous holiday entitlement, childcare vouchers and free parking.
Please upload your CV and covering letter stating how you meet the essential criteria given in the Job Description using the link provided.
Closing date for applications: 21 January 2018
World Vision UK is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes applications from all sections of the community regardless of age, sexual orientation, religion and belief, race, gender, marriage and civil partnership status, and disability.
As a child focused organisation, World Vision UK is committed to the safeguarding of children, therefore any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of applicable background checks, including a criminal records check.
No agencies please.