NEW VACANCY Senior Mechanical Design Engineer based in Ely
**NEW VACANCY** Permanent Senior Mechanical Design Engineer based in Ely
This is a great opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join a highly regarded multinational company in located in Ely, within walking distance from the train station.
If you have a proven track record in full life cycle product design and development and taking product development from inception through to full scale production, we would be interested in hearing from you.
This is a key mechanical design role within a growing engineering team. The successful applicant will be taking the lead in designing a wide range of manual and automated electro-mechanical precision motion control and vibration and isolation products.
The key duties of this role will include:
- To design cost-effective mechanical mechanisms for precision motion control and vibration isolation systems
- To develop product specifications
- Producing details of specifications and outline designs
- To develop, assemble, test and evaluate theoretical designs
- To discuss and solve complex problems with team members, sub-contractors, suppliers and manufacturing departments
- Making or recommending modifications to prototypes following test results
- To make sure a product can be made reliably and will perform consistently in specified operating conditions
- Planning and overseeing the product development
- Considering implications of issues such as cost, safety and time constraints
- Working with other professionals, within and outside the engineering team
Essential skills and experience
- Proven hands on experience of product design
- A high level of technical knowledge and the ability to apply this to practical problems
- The ability to work well in a multidisciplinary team
- An understanding of machinery directive safety legislation
- A creative ability with attention to detail
- Experience with 3D and 2D modelling software
- Experience of producing high quality manufacturing drawings containing full tolerance and detailed finishing specifications
- Experience with precision component design to micron level tolerances
- Several years' experience of full life cycle product design
Desirable Skills & Experience but not required:
- Strong grasp of materials selection for a wide range of mechanical assemblies
- Familiarity of motorised and piezo actuated precision motion control stages and actuators
- Significant SolidWorks modelling experience of more than one year
- Design of precision complex mechanical assemblies with micron level fit tolerances
- Prototype assembly, evaluation, characterisation and testing experience
- Knowledge of a wide variety of component manufacturing processes and techniques
- Experience working within multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Practical manual turning and milling prototyping experience
- Design for vacuum compatibility
- Knowledge of the photonics industry
Ideally a degree in Mechanical Engineering with masters of PhD is preferred. Other candidates would be considered if they have significant experience with small precision mechanisms.
Working Hours: Full-time Monday to Friday
Benefits: Excellent benefits
Neaves & Neat Employment Services Ltd. are acting as an Employment Agency for this Permanent vacancy.