Internal Audit & Risk Manager, Mazars, London
As a member of the Finance & Risk Consulting based on London and reporting directly to the Internal Audit Senior Manager (SM). You will be responsible for managing a team of internal audit seniors, delivering risk based internal audit assignments and risk improvement projects to our clients. Client satisfaction is of paramount important to us and you will need excellent communication and written skills and an ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Our interesting portfolio of clients range from FTSE 350 global companies to small owner-managed businesses across multiple sectors (retail, technology, energy, manufacturing, entertainment and more) throughout the UK and Europe.
• Manage a team of Senior Auditors/Consultants;
• Provide on the job training where required;
• Be responsible for planning internal audit work programmes and setting of control objectives;
• Management and delivery of all aspects of the internal audit process including planning, fieldwork, participating in closing meetings with management, review and issue of reports.
• Maintaining good relationships with clients;
• Managing client accounts including set up of new codes, compliance to QRM and billing;
• Act as a point of contact for clients, ensuring both are kept fully informed of any issues arising and the progress of the audit;
• Develop solutions for unique client issues by bringing fresh ideas and perspectives as well as developing new methodologies;
• Identifies opportunities and prospects for new work; and
• Lead/support the development of new proposals.
• Full responsibility for all aspects of planning including resourcing, coordinating manager and partner activities, budgets, client meetings and visits;
• Draft engagement terms to a standard which can be sent directly to the client;
• Perform a review of the audit universe, including an assessment of the systems and controls, identifying key audit risks as a result of this review;
• Draft the budget and assign audit areas to team members to conduct and complete;
• Produce the Terms of Reference (ToR) to detail the strategy to the client. Be involved in the delivery of the ToR to the client;
• Organise and prepare the agenda for and chair team meetings and communicate the strategy to the other members of the team;
Controlling the assignment/fieldwork
• Complete the more complex areas of the assignments;
• Delegate appropriately and provide on-the-job training to team members;
• Review the work of assistants and seniors and provide informal feedback throughout the fieldwork stage;
• Capture audit findings and observations as they are identified;
• Review actual to budgeted time and inform the SM or partner of any issues immediately;
• Build strong working relationships with the client, ensuring any problems or requests are dealt with promptly;
• Communicate with other departments where appropriate and pass on all relevant information; and
• Be aware of developments concerning client’s affairs and any opportunities to provide additional services.
• Closedown of audit files;
• Ensure standards and procedures are maintained by the whole team and complete audit work with review points cleared;
• Draft audit report for the SM and Partner review;
• Attendance at audit close meeting.
• Keep technically up to date;
• Ensure awareness of firm’s specialist services and publications;
• Assist with recruitment, training and marketing activities as required;
• Maintain time records and appraisal records;
• Complete assignment reviews within two weeks of the end of the engagement and obtain SM and Partner sign off (for both own appraisals and for those of other members of the team); and
• Take full responsibility for the assignment.
• Educated to degree level and qualified ACA/ACCA, IIA, CIA or equivalent;
• Relevant Industry and Commerce internal audit experience in professional practice or in-house internal audit team;
• Willingness to travel up to 50%;
• Experience of following a risk based audit approach;
• As this position involves client contact, the person must be able to present a professional image to the firm’s clients;
• Excellent written and verbal presentation skills required;
• Desire to help grow and develop the department;
• Effectively develop new initiatives and methodologies;
• Able to identify issues thought sound analysis and application of commercial acumen in all situations;
• Ability to express ideas with authority and conviction throughout verbal and written communication;
• Ability to develop self and others;
• Ensure the team adhere to the firm’s risk management policies and procedures;
• Share knowledge and experience to support the development of other team members;
• Continually develop a network of client contacts; and
• Take ownership of projects, effectively delegate to others within the team and take responsibility for quality control.