The Project Manager oversees the planning, implementation, and tracking of a specific project which has a beginning, an end and specified deliverables.
The working hours are normally Monday to Friday, 09:00-17:30 with 1hr for lunch, although extended hours may be required to meet customer requirements and project milestones.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to accommodate changes to their working hours and also be available to work weekends & evenings as required.
Plan the project
- Define the scope of the project in collaboration with senior management and technical staff
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project
- Validate the resources (time, money, equipment, etc) required to complete the project
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities
- Review the project schedule with senior management and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise the schedule as required
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion
Staff the project
- In consultation with the appropriate manager, select staff with appropriate skills for the project activities
- Manage and track project staff according to the established policies and practices of the organisation
- Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the project
- Contract qualified 3rd party external resources to work on the project as appropriate
Implement the project
- Execute the project according to the project plan
- Develop forms and records to document project activities
- Set up files to ensure that all project information is appropriately documented and secured
- Monitor the progress of the project and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organisation on the progress of the project
- Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards
Control the project
- Write reports and/or update CRM records on the project for management and interested parties
- Communicate internally and externally project commercial status/risks
- Monitor and approve all budgeted project expenditures
- Monitor invoicing projections and report actual invoicing schedule and variance to senior management on a regular basis (monthly/bimonthly)
- Manage all project budgets according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that all financial records for the project are up to date
- Prepare financial reports and supporting documentation
Evaluate the project
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase
- Evaluate/report the final status of the project, detailing if the project was completed on time, on budget, within the allocated man time.
- Evaluate/report any lessons learnt from the project and feed these back to senior management
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
The Project Manager should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organisation.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organisation and to create new opportunities.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organisational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organisation.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organisation.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organisation forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- Customer focussed
- Follow instructions given
- Highly motivated - Sets and achieves challenging goals
- Quality management - ability to look for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Must have a full, clean or near clean UK driving licence
- 2 to 3 years planning and/or management experience