Category Buyer - Electrical & Powertrain
Department – Purchasing and Supply Chain
Reporting to – Senior Category Manager
Location - The Ansty Business Park, Coventry
Salary up to £48k
Given our ambitious and exciting growth plans for the future we are looking for a Category Buyer
The Category Buyer is responsible for the development and implementation of effective purchasing and supply chain strategies that manage supply chain risk, and deliver significant benefit to the organisation.
The role will provide a single point of accountability for sourcing performance in relation to a category / sub-category, and requires a high degree of product and market focus. This means an ability to drive improvement through demand and specification based initiatives as well as through the more traditional purchasing based activity e.g. negotiation. In addition, the role should consider the internal costs of managing suppliers and supply chains, including working capital, and the cost of poor quality and delivery performance
It is the responsibility of the category Buyer to ensure that the total cost of acquisition of goods and services are considered and improved, and that potential supply chain risks are formally identified, minimised and mitigated. The Category Buyer is required to develop strategies that will benefit the wider organisation by working closely with internal and external stakeholders. The Category Buyer is also responsible for ensuring that the optimum relationships are developed, and effective leverage applied to the supply base in order to achieve business targets and maximise competitive advantage.
In order to ensure that suppliers and supply chains remain competitive, it is the responsibility of the Category Buyer to ensure that suitable measures of performance, contractual terms and conditions, cost driver analysis and supply chain risk management is all effective and improved through a culture of continuous improvement and cost reduction.
- Develop & implement robust and effective Category based sourcing strategies (through a gateway process), including :-
- A structured analysis of historic spend, and robust forecasts of future requirements
- A thorough analysis of current supply, and future potential supply possibilities
- Engagement of key stakeholders across the businesses, and development of strategies through an inclusive, team approach - Achievement of stakeholder buy-in to changes
- Implementation of strategy through a planned and structured project management based approach
- Ongoing monitoring of the effectiveness of any change
- Development and implementation of a category specific savings plan - Drive the implementation of savings projects and monitor them through a structured process
- To work with the programme sourcing Buyers to ensure that category strategies are effectively implemented into new product development activity
- Effectively manage the category
- Develop a detailed knowledge of the category, the suppliers and key cost drivers in order to take advantage of opportunities, and to pre-empt and mitigate risks.
- To lead supplier negotiations in order to yield significant cost savings and supply chain improvements
- Develop relationships with key strategic suppliers
- Apply leverage strategies where applicable
- Take a total acquisition cost (TAC) approach to costs savings
- Ongoing monitoring of the cost drivers
- Effectively monitor the performance of the suppliers at site level, and consolidate at group level in order to determine a balanced view of supplier performance to EAD / LEVC (QCD)
- Provide a monthly category update
- Support the development of standardised supplier performance management and spend data analysis
- Manage the supplier raw materials pipeline of inventory to ensure that working capital is effectively managed
- Ensure that payment terms are optimised
- Ensure that early payment, and other discounts / rebates are maximised (in conjunction with business requirements e.g. working capital constraints)
- Maintain procurement information and contract files specific to the category.
- Provide the link to the sales and commercial team in terms of raw materials costs and availability
- Drive innovation from the supply chain
- Excellent multi-tasking skills with the ability to work independently or as part of a team across multiple projects and components
- Good negotiation, written and verbal skills
- Strong organizational skills to manage cost, change and general transactional activities.
- Team player and with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage cost portfolio, driving lowest cost solutions back through design phases and change management to maintain targets.
Education and Experience
Graduate calibre, preferably with a technical degree, supplemented by a business degree e.g. MBA. Candidates should have significant experience in senior commercial / Purchasing roles within multi-site, multi region, multi-cultural, manufacturing based organisations
Candidates should show a commitment to continuous personal and professional development, and should be a member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, or equivalent.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959926402