Application Support Engineer
About the business
This role supports our Managed Security Services (MSS) business area which delivers a range of outsourced cyber security services with a particular focus on protecting organisations that are threatened by sophisticated targeted attacks. The BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Security Operations Centre (SOC) is based on a strong 40 year heritage and monitors a varied customer base providing exposure to a wide range of security products, attack groups and cyber threats.
About the role
As an Application Support Engineer you will be responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the technology platform that underpins our service. The role will require technical expertise and the ability to problem-solve incidents and problems that arise in the platform. Excellent communication skills are essential, ensuring that stakeholders are well-informed and understand of the impact of current issues.
You will ensure that all components of our technology platform, whether located on-site, externally hosted or deployed to client site, are available, secure and running efficiently to enable 24x7 service operations from our rapidly expanding Leeds SOC. Key technologies in use within our platform are Linux, HP ArcSight, MySQL and Hadoop. The role will primarily focus on the application layer from an administration, customisation and maintenance perspective but will also require knowledge and capability in the underlying database, infrastructure and Operating System layers. Knowledge of Linux administration and Windows 2008/2012 including management of Active Directory is essential.
The role is based in our Leeds offices, and will require a flexible approach to on-call working, currently a 1 in 4 rota.
What we’re looking for
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to remain focused on resolution in real-time
- Service, Customer and Client focused
- Familiar working within ITIL aligned-processes – Request, Incident, Problem and Change Management
- Experience of Supplier Management – communicating with hosting providers and software vendor support teams
- Use of Service Management tools such as CA Service Desk or ServiceNow
- Use of Application Monitoring software such as Solarwinds
- Linux administration and Windows 2008/2012 including management of Active Directory
- Scripting languages, such as Python, Bash, Windows Batch
- ITILv3 certification to foundation level or higher would be an advantage
- CA Service Desk
- Business Objects
- Hadoop clustering
- Understanding of networking technologies and troubleshooting, particularly firewalling / routing
- CentOS / RedHat administration
- Database technologies such as MySQL/MSSQL
- Symantec Backup Exec
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/79158113