Group Company Secretary
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibility for the management of the company secretarial functions for the holding company and all subsidiaries. Currently this includes Focusrite Plc plus subsidiaries in UK, US and Hong Kong. For Focusrite Plc, this is currently outsourced to Prism Cosec.
- Carry out the roles of secretary to the Plc Board, Remuneration Committee, Audit Committee and Nomination Committee.
- Management of all aspects of share options…scheme design, issue of options, vesting conditions, exercise of vested options, employee sale of shares, P+L impact, management of Employee Benefit Trust and the managing trustee (currently Intertrust).
- Management of the Group’s trademark and intellectual property portfolio including high level brand strategy by region, obtaining registrations where necessary, challenging competing applications, defence against challenges to this Group and management of the lawyers carrying out the work (currently Gill Jennings and Every).
- Lead all legal aspects of major transactions (such as the buying or selling of a company), outsourcing as appropriate. Currently, the Group’s legal advisers are Stephenson Harwood in UK and Polsinelli in US.
- Lead all aspects of major legal disputes, outsourcing as appropriate.
- Ensure that current, appropriate, signed distribution agreements exist for all distributors and resellers of Group products. This includes managing the contents and wording of the agreements, subsequent internal approval and then getting them signed by the distributors and resellers annually.
- Manage legal contracts for other third parties such as NDAs or royalty agreements.
- Support the Head of People (Loraine Regan) with regard to offer letters, employments contracts, employment cessation disputes, compromise agreements and the employee handbook.
- Lead the production of relevant annual report sections such as risk, corporate social responsibility, corporate governance report, directors’ report, directors’ remuneration report, statement of directors’ responsibilities.
- Management of the process by which risks faced by the Group are identified, assessed and mitigated.
- Management of and guidance for the Commercial Associate.
Experience and Skills Required
- Qualified chartered company secretary a qualified solicitor.
- The person needs to have experience of the majority of the above functions. This would normally be achieved by several years in a UK public limited company.
- The personal fit with the Group Board, the management team and the Commercial Associate will be critical.
- A high level of attention to detail.
We’ll be honest - Focusrite is a pretty great place to work. Incorporating both the Focusrite and Novation brands, we make music easy to make, from bedroom DJs to the greatest show on earth. Everyone who works here has an enormous passion for music: as it says on our website, sound is everything. We take that very seriously - though we have a lot of fun doing it.
As the number one selling audio interface brand worldwide, Focusrite has an illustrious, prestigious, and, let’s face it, cool history. Alongside Novation, the hardware and software that we develop plays an instrumental (see what we did there?) role in shaping the sound of modern music. From amateur to pro, our goal is to help musicians to make their music the very best it can be.
Music has always been an exciting thing to be involved with, and that’s not about to change. We embrace its evolution, and that means being open to new ideas. Our whole business is structured to let everyone contribute and be heard at all levels, and we make sure it’s a fun place to work.
Benefits include company pension, life insurance, private healthcare, and employee purchase scheme, (Plus, you get free breakfast and lunch in the canteen. No really.). Company hack-days, making things easy days, lunch and learns, external visits, and free use of a local recording studio and rehearsal space - we’re all about innovation, fresh thinking and great, great products.
We work hard. We are professional. We select really, really talented people. And we absolutely love our work. So if you think you can bring something new to the mix, we’ll be looking forward to hearing from you.