I am recruiting for a Teaching Assistant for an 8 week assignment, which could turn into a long term/permanent position. The role is supporting a Young Person who is transitioning into school after a period out of education. The role will involve preparing the student for the content of lessons and acting as a key worker for the child outside of lessons. Training and mentoring to support how to work with the student will be provided by a Specialist Practitioner from SEND Service 0-25.
This right candidate will need to:
· Understand how to work with children with anxiety
· Have good communication skills and an understanding of children
· Patient and calm and willing to earn the trust of the student over time
· Have really good listening skills, be able to pick up on body language and non- verbal cues
· Should be able to think outside the box and use distraction to de-escalate a situation.
· Be confident in their own ability, able to stand their ground in the best interests of the student
· Be able to communicate and champion to other staff/professionals in the school the needs of the student
· Have the ability to be positive in difficult situations.
· Work collaboratively with the student so they feel they have a sense of control
· Be enthusiastic; assertive; professional; persuasive, resilient and brave.
· Have a good sense of humour - be able to laugh at self and have the ability to share banter
· Have their own interests/experiences that they are passionate about and can share that are interesting in order to engage with the student
· Be very flexible and able to change their plans to accommodate what the student needs
· Be familiar with working in secondary schools, like teenagers and be willing to learn.