The Buyer's main responsibility is to ensure the quality, quantity, and price of raw materials needed to produce products ordered by customers. This position requires that the Buyer possesses the ability to work closely with project teams to understand the weekly production requirements, as well as, to work closely with vendors to understand market changes, which will impact supply requirements (Steel etc). The Buyer/Scheduler is also responsible for working with the Supply Chain Manager to maintain inventory accuracy and for exercising independent judgement.
Responsibilities & Duties include:-
- Confer with QA and Production to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and assist in determining corrective action.
- Initiate projects to reduce the total cost of raw materials and packaging goods.
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes.
- Maintain and review computerised or manual records of items purchased, costs, delivery, product performance, and inventories.
- Monitor shipments to ensure that goods come in on time, and in the event of problems trace shipments and follow up on undelivered goods.
- Prepare purchase orders, solicit bid proposals and review requisitions for goods and services.
- Create and manage weekly production schedule based on customer sales orders
- Research and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier's reputation and history.
- Review catalogues, industry periodicals, directories, trade journals, and Internet sites, and consult with other department personnel to locate necessary goods and services.
- Study sales records and inventory levels of current stock to develop strategic purchasing programs that
- Facilitate employee access to supplies.
- Review product specifications, maintaining a working technical knowledge of the goods or services to be purchased.
- Arrange the payment of duty and freight charges.
- Monitor changes affecting supply and demand, tracking market conditions, price trends, or futures markets.
Knowledge & Skills
- Must be well organised, detail oriented and good with
- Good interpersonal skills
- Computer Skills:
- Word, MS Excel and Outlook
- Capacity to learn other software applications as needed
- Excellent communication skills up and down organisational structure.
- 5 YEARS OF BUYING/SCHEDULING EXPERIENCE DESIRED , IDEALLY WITH THE ABILITY TO READ AND ANALYSE DRAWINGS
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.