Staff Nurse PICU/ Paediatrics Intensive Care
Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the only independent hospital in London and the UK entirely dedicated to women and children. Our inpatient and outpatient specialties reflect this providing clinical expertise in Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Women`s Health.
The Paediatric department has been consistently growing over the past few years, almost doubling since 2008. We have 45 inpatient beds + 11 day case. Our Paediatric Intensive care unit's (PICU) are equipped with the latest medical equipment as well as being led by some of the very best paediatric consultants in the world. We provide groundbreaking and innovative care and consequently consider our PICU at The Portland Hospital to be leaders in the provision of critical care to children.
We are a spacious, modern 7 bed unit and are equipped with the latest technology to provide advanced respiratory and organ support all of which is medically supported by our team of Consultant Paediatric Intensivists 24/7. Our nursing ratio is 1:1 which reflects the acuity of the children who are admitted to our unit.
Salary: £31,630- £35,822 per annum + 9% shift enhancement
If you have done the Paediatric ICU course we will reward you with an additional £3000 per annum
- The post holder, once initially trained as required, will be responsible and accountable for the assessment of required care and the development, implementation and evaluation of holistic care for children in a critical care setting
- To communicate effectively at all levels within the multi-disciplinary team
- To promote a progressive attitude to the continual improvement of patient care through research, evidence based practice and the developmental of additional clinical skills in the speciality
- To assist in the safe, effective and efficient management of the department with allocated resources
Duties & Responsibilities
- To ensure that each child is assessed and that their care is planned, implemented and evaluated in a family centred way and to ensure accurately documented.
- Provide care with a developing clinical understanding of the therapies and drugs used within Paediatric ICU.
- Understands the correct use and assembly of required equipment within Paediatric ICU, understand safety precautions and ensure appropriate cleaning of equipment
- To be competent in the administration of medication, including intravenous routes
- Maintaining and monitoring levels of stock to ensure there are adequate levels of supplies
- To ensure clinical practice is evidence based or peer reviewed
- To develop defined skills in communicating complex and sensitive information effectively to patients, carers and other staff, overcoming any barriers to understanding and providing support during distressing or emotional events and seeking advice or guidance where necessary
- To develop open and trusting relationships with other members of the multidisciplinary team, other departments and community services as necessary
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience as a Children's Nurse either in a High Dependency Unit, NICU or PICU
- NMC Registered- the child branch of the NMC register.
- Basic/Intermediate Paediatric Life Support
- Understanding of Safeguarding issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Competent with computers and able to use clinical systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent clinical governance and experience with audits
- Ability to work within a team and independently
- ENB 415/405/100 or a Paediatric/Neonatal critical care pathway award
- Foundation studies in paediatric intensive care nursing
- Teaching and mentoring experience
- Supervision and management experience
- Demonstrates evidence of applying current research to practice
About The Individual
- Caring but assertive
- Ability to lead and use one's own initiative
- Able to work to pressure
- Punctual with good time management
- To have an awareness and understanding of cross cultural needs