Head of Cost Planning
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
Due to continued growth and investment, we are seeking a technically competent and dynamic commercial manager with significant estimating and negotiation experience to lead our Cost Planning team throughout our national portfolio.
The Cost Planning group supports Commercial Directors, enabling informed investment decisions and capital planning, through cost estimating outputs and assuring value for money and supply chain sustainability by negotiating contract target costs.
The Head of Cost Planning will lead managers within the group separately responsible for Major Project Estimating, Operations Estimating and Price Negotiation. The teams focus is an excellence in existing service delivery and continuous improvement in support an Intelligent Client agenda.
- Provide strategic direction for the Cost Planning function, and ensure its alignment with the wider Highways England commercial and procurement function, as part of the Leadership team.
- Lead, support and train managers within the Cost Planning group.
- Drive the development and positioning of the Cost Planning team, and function, within the wider business.
- Ensure that fair and reasonable Prices, which represent value for money, are agreed or set with the supply chain
- Drive continuous improvement in policy and process, supporting a consistent 'best in class' approach.
- An authoritative source of advice as head of profession for Cost Planning
- Experienced Cost Engineer / Cost Planner / Estimating Manager with relevant experience in managing and negotiating large government contracts and dealing with Major UK based Contractors.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of Government Investment Appraisal (WLC) modelling techniques and Life cycle costing.
- Significant experience of Risk Management and Negotiation within large programmes of work
- Expert Knowledge of Estimating techniques and Statistics.
- track record of leading a Cost Estimating / Engineering function using industry recognised standards and best practice.
- Significant knowledge of contract management in a highways and/or related construction environment.
- Significant experience of leading and managing a commercial team at a senior level in project and programme delivery
- Strategic / Big Picture decisions in the interest of the organisation as a whole and achieving optimum results
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at .uk/