Developer / Senior Developer - COBOL, CICS, JCL, DB2
We are looking for developers to join our growing team and play a crucial role in helping to drive NEXT forward in a fast moving retail environment. From high-level concepts and designs through to technically efficient code, you’ll be involved every step of the way.
About the Role
As a Developer / Senior Developer, you’ll be required to understand and interpret technical specifications, and turn them into working code, using a mix of technologies. Ideally, you’ll have solid experience in the full development life cycle, including requirements gathering, systems / business analysis and technical development.
- Demonstrate analytical and programming skills across a range of platforms.
- Ability to interpret requirements into working code.
- Develop, test and implement code to the department and industry technical specifications and standards.
- Perform maintenance programming and correction of identified defects.
- Create, document and implement test plans.
- Produce timely documentation and ensure proposed solutions are fit for purpose.
- Work to plans / deadlines provided, escalating issues as appropriate.
- Provide ad-hoc analysis, reports and business support as required.
- Proactively improve existing skills, taking on new technical skills as appropriate, and continuously seek to expand business knowledge.
- Provide out of hours support on a rota basis.
- Ensure that IT and business users are aligned at all times on the project aims and deliverables.
- Ensure issues raised by business users are appropriately evaluated, prioritised and resourced.
- Ensure that communication to the business is professional, clear and appropriate.
- Build and maintain working relationships with key business users.
- Work closely with other systems teams to improve cross-team resolution of issues, where appropriate.
- SDLC. Software Development Lifecycle.
- A proven track record of feature level design, development and testing of architecturally robust and scalable technical solutions.
- Strong problem solving skills with the capability to analyse existing systems for enhancement whilst identifying risks and change impact.
Essential Technical Skills