Staff Nurse - Paediatric ICU
HCA Healthcare UK - World's largest private acute and complex care hospital group and winners of 'The Best Private Healthcare provider 2016' and 'Best International Cancer Services' provider 2016
The Harley Street Clinic is one of the most prestigious and respected private hospitals in London, specialising in complex, cancer, cardiac and neuroscience, care for both adults and children. With the most advanced medical equipment and the largest private paediatric ICU in the country, it's no surprise we attract some of the finest specialist consultants from many of London's major teaching hospitals.
The 9 bedded Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is provides expertise and technology of the highest standard. The service is provided by a dedicated multi-disciplinary team of Consultant Intensivists, Registrars, Nurses, and allied health professionals including dieticians, physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
The unit is able to provide multi-organ support including the latest in cardiac, ventilator and renal replacement technologies. We care for level 2 (high dependency) and level 3 (highest level of 1:1 care) patients within a supportive clinical environment as well as specialising in complex cardiac and surgical cases, the unit provides support for all medical/surgical emergencies within the hospital.
Facilities include the availability of isolation rooms and 24 hour / 7 day support from theatres, cardiac catheter laboratory and diagnostic services. The team provides clinical and advisory support for all patients within The Harley Street Clinic ensuring that all patients receive the best possible acute medical care.
As a Staff Nurse in the Paediatric Critical Care unit, you will be required to provide a high standard of holistic family centred care to the children and families. Ability to promote family centred care and establish good relationships with children and their families. To communicate effectively at all levels within the multi-disciplinary team.
This is a full time role working 37.5hrs per week - flexible shifts on internal rotation, including long days, nights and weekends.
The attractive and competitive salary for this role is £31,630 - £35,822 + 9% shift enhancement and will be dependent upon skills and experience.
In addition to the salary, we will also give you £3000pa subject to proof that you have completed the PICU 60 Credit Course Incentive
Benefits: We'll look after you with our contribution pension scheme, the use of all HCA facilities for acute medical conditions, annual salary review, 25 days holiday each year and access to a fantastic flexible benefits scheme. We can also offer you a relocation packages if you are living outside of London or the UK. You can expect to be working in an environment that promotes the development of your skills and knowledge.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To provide the highest standard of nursing care for the children and their families.
- To plan, assess, implement and evaluate programmes of care for individual children and to supervise other staff in this activity.
- To ensure an ongoing welcoming, caring and safe environment is provided for the children and their families.
- To maintain confidentiality surrounding the child's admission and treatment at all times.
- To act as an advocate for the child and family, providing them with information and support and directing them to the relevant support services where appropriate.
- To communicate complex and sensitive information effectively to patients, carers and other staff, overcoming any barriers to understanding and providing support during distressing or emotional events.
- To start planning discharges from admission, liaising with the multidisciplinary team, other departments and community services as necessary.
- To develop and maintain clinical skills and knowledge necessary to provide holistic, evidence based nursing care.
- To be competent in the administration of medication.
- To ensure clinical practice is evidence based or peer reviewed "best practice".
- Assist with ongoing education and training of families
Skills & Experience
A child registered nurse (RSCN) with PICU experience ideally managing, Cardiothoracic, Oncology or General intensive care child patients. It is also important that you have experience of managing ventilated and non-ventilated patients independently.
- NMC Registered Nurse (RN Child / RSCN). (Essential)
- Relevant courses
- Post grad nursing experience in PICU. (Essential)
- Paediatric Critical Care Course or equivalent. (Desirable but not essential)
- Evidence of ongoing professional development linked to demonstrable competencies
About The Individual
The appointed applicant will need to be adaptable and able to meet changing working patterns and caseload, working independently as well as part of a team. They will possess a passion for delivering customer service and a desire to provide an exceptional patient experience. They will display a personable, yet professional manner at all times.