Medicines Management Technician - Leaders of Oncology Care
About The Facility
Leaders in Oncology Care (LOC) - part of the UK branch of Hospital Corporation of America (HCA Healthcare UK) - is a centre of excellence in private cancer care in London working alongside the most eminent Oncologists and Haematologists. LOC outpatient oncology and haematology clinics are spread between London's prestigious Harley Street, the Platinum Medical Centre in St Johns Wood and our new state-of-the-art Outpatient Cancer Clinic in the heart of Chelsea.
After a recent restructuring of our pharmacy department, a Medicines Management Technician position has become available within our expanding Pharmacy team.
This is an exciting time to join the dynamic Pharmacy team at The Leaders in Oncology Care. The post-holder will work with the Lead for e-Prescribing and Medicines Management and the Lead pharmacist(s) for Haematology & Oncology in running a technician-based medicines optimisation/management service and maintaining the SACT e-Prescribing portfolio. You will provide the highest standards of patient-focused care ensuring accurate drug histories, medicines reconciliation, evidence based medication advice and timely discharge of patients in order meet the key performance indicators agreed by the Head of Pharmacy.
Duties & Responsibilities
This role entails:
- To coordinate medicines supply activity at clinic level and to provide effective communication and coordination with central dispensaries.
- To coordinate discharge planning and implementation in conjunction with the clinical pharmacist and clinic staff, identifying discharge times for patients, accuracy checking medicines against the TTO letter and dispensing and re-labelling as necessary.
- To ensure that accurate drug histories are obtained for identified patients by communication with the patient/carer and/or by liaising with external organisations including GP practices, community pharmacies and nursing/residential homes, or other facilities within HCA Healthcare UK.
- To undertake patient counselling on selected patients and to work with the clinical pharmacist to ensure patients understand their discharge medication.
- To liaise with clinic staff over any relevant medicines management issues to ensure concordance/compliance with prescribed medication.
Protocol management, Formulary management, Communication and Documentation:
- Create and update SACT protocols on the CIS system based upon the information supplied in the protocol request form.
- Work under the direction of the Lead for e-Prescribing and Medicines Management in maintaining the formulary for the CIS system; adding new drugs, maintaining drug files and creating order sets to ensure drug use is pre-defined and standardised wherever possible. Amend drug files to reflect changes dictated by SmPC revisions and other external sources.
- Participate in the testing of clinical decision support files and link them to the formulary in a timely and efficient manner as agreed with the Deputy Head of Pharmacy - Clinical Services.
- Provide accurate, adequate, and timely drug information to administrative, nursing and medical staff using appropriate reference sources.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both written and verbally.
- Work with the Lead for e-Prescribing and Medicines Management in maintaining and developing SOPs.
- Create, develop, implement and maintain any necessary documentation relating to any Pharmacy related system.
Skills & Experience
- NVQ level 3 in Pharmacy Services and a BTEC in Pharmaceutical science (or equivalent qualification and underpinning knowledge)
- Additional knowledge relating to information technology essential
- Registration with the General Pharmaceutical Council
- Accredited Checking Technician (Desirable)