Operations & Finance Manager, Household Consumer Products
Job Title: Operations Manager
Reporting to: Managing Director
Remuneration: £40 - 45k, a performance related bonus, pension
Reports: Admin team of 3 + dotted line report from Marketing Assistant
1. The Company.
Our client is a dynamic, fast growing and privately owned Company, marketing its own branded range of innovative problem solving home products to its UK retail customers, such as John Lewis, and overseas distributors. Current turnover is c. £3.5m and is on track to reach £5m in the next two years.
Due to the continued success and associated growth the company now has the need to appoint an Operations Manager to support the Managing Director and enable him to concentrate on sales, business and strategic development.
It follows that this is a critical appointment for our client to provide internal financial management support to the Managing Director and to manage the procurement/supply chain processes end to end. This is a newly created role working for a forward thinking, well regarded and progressive organisation. It is a rare and exciting career enhancing opportunity with superb benefits and a great team based in central Nottingham.
2. Overview of the role.
The success of the company to date has been very much based on delivering innovative products providing excellent customer service; essentially making sure the right products are available from the supplier and delivered to the client on time. As the company grows this is becoming both increasingly essential and more complex and subsequently taking up more of the MD's time, thus reducing his availability to concentrate on business development. This new appointment is to provide him with the necessary support over operational matters, primarily finance management and supply chain related. In particular, it will provide the opportunity to bring in house more of the financial management functions currently outsourced.
In brief - reporting to the Managing Director, your responsibility will be to provide a comprehensive in-house financial management function, providing the necessary financial and supporting reports and analysis to the MD and deliver day to day control of the operational supply chain function from initial procurement through to delivery to the client. You will be supported by an Admin Team of three reporting to you. In addition the Marketing Assistant will have dotted line reporting to you regarding non marketing/admin issues.
The role will include:
- Forecasting stock and placing orders with suppliers for stock and current sales orders
- Chasing deliveries of supplies
- Receiving and entering stock as it arrives
- Optimising stock levels
- Produce reports on product usage for use by management
- Confirming stock prices and quantities onto the company's CRM
- Matching invoices
- Organising collections
- Following up recent and historical order confirmations
- Supporting the delivery of the procurement strategy
- Working to reduce waste and over/under-stocking
- Reviewing current suppliers, evaluating performance
- Identifying opportunities to improve performance and drive down cost, improving terms
- Reviewing systems, procedures and processes, streamlining and changing when applicable - implementing Continuous Improvement
- Reporting accurate management information
- Managing the eProcurement system, supporting the outsourced vendor.
In addition, you will be responsible for:
- Day to day general book keeping
- Financial reports and analysis as required.
- Production of monthly management accounts
3. The Candidate
The ideal candidate:
- You will have booking keeping and financial reporting experience, probably with AAT.CIMA or similar qualification, although this is not essential as long as you have the practical exposure with the ability to produce financial management report (experience of Sage 50 would be an advantage including Stock Control)
- You will have considerable procurement/purchasing experience, ideally gained within an FMCG environment
- You will be highly computer literate including all MS Office products
- You will possibly be CIPS qualified - Certificate level or higher would be ideal, but not essential
- You will certainly exhibit highly developed interpersonal/communications skills
- Have the experience and associated authority and credibility to work at Director level with customers and suppliers
- Understand lean/Continuous Improvement methodology such as Six Sigma