The Nursery Manager works closely with the Director whilst also being expected to work autonomously in relation to every day management responsibilities. The role requires the confidence to make decisions considering the reputation and financial aspects of the business whilst balancing a high degree of sensitivity to the needs of children and families.
To provide operational management of the nursery facilities and staff, to ensure a high quality, balanced provision of leading practice education and care is delivered at all times. Responsible for company adherence to company policies and procedures. Consistently meeting legislative requirements and following education curriculum, delivering standards to ensure highest possible inspection grading.
Ensure the training, support, mentoring and supervision of the staff team to inspire and lead ambitious practice. To create a safe, caring and welcoming setting in which parents are happy to entrust their child and where their child is encouraged and supported to flourish in an enabling and stimulating environment.
To promote a successful and profitable business, engaging with the local community and marketing the nursery to reach maximum occupancy whilst providing excellent customer care.
- Report to the Director regularly relating nursery operation and performance.
- Adhere to policies and procedures implemented, ensuring relevant legislation is met and no unauthorised changes are made to company documentation.
- Maintain and promote the brand.
- Having key holder responsibility, ensuring security is maintained at all times, including the opening up and the closing of the nursery at the end of the day.
- Deal with complaints (verbal/written), recording and responding within the set time frame and reporting to governing bodies and Head Office where warranted.
- Assist with Head Office Quality Improvement Visits and Inspections and action all recommendations within the agreed time scale.
- Ensure ratios are in line with policy and staff rotas are financially astute.
- Responsible for admissions in line with the admissions procedure accurately updating the nursery management software system as necessary.
- Ensure daily registers and records of children in attendance are accurate.
- Oversee roles and responsibilities as required by legislative requirements and liaise with external agencies.
- Responsible for Health and Safety across the company, ensuring relevant policies and Health and Safety at Work Regulations are complied with reviewing the risk assessments as necessary and liaising with 3rd party employment law and health and safety advice company.
- Ensure regular emergency evacuation drills are carried out recorded and evaluated.
- Maintain high standards cleanliness and hygiene, overseeing kitchen documentation and practice to ensure food safety regulations as set out by the local Environmental Health are adhered to, this may involve cooking in the absence of the chef.
- To administer or oversee first aid and medication, referring to further emergency assistance if required. To report accidents of staff or serious injury to children to parents, Inspectorate, RIDDOR, the Director and Head Office.
- To ensure the safer recruitment policy and procedure is adhered to and all the relevant documentation is accurately completed and securely stored.
- Create and implement Self-Evaluation alongside all staff members.
- Ensure regular staff meetings take place which reinforce brand values and strive for continually evolving high standards of practice.
- Identify, via, reviews and appraisals, training requirements of employees and organise internal/external appropriate training with prior financial approval of the Director. Liaise with child-care training providers and student mentors.
- Address staff underperformance issues using Performance Management Records and the disciplinary process, following guidance from 3rd Party employment law and health and safety advice company.
- Oversee the planning and provision of a stimulating environment with a balance of challenging and inspiring child/adult lead activities reflecting children’s individual needs and interests.
- Liaise with Deputy Manager/Room Leaders to ensure confident systems are in place to guarantee the continued smooth running of the settings in their absence.