Senior Research Executive / Research Manager - Employment, Welfare & Skills
We are the largest and most successful social research organisation in the UK, with over 200 multi-disciplined staff including evaluators, methodologists, statisticians, economists and policy specialists. We work with every government department, agencies and think tanks. Our work has a direct bearing on the decisions made by government, organisations and citizens.
We are recruiting for a Senior Research Executive or a Research Manager to join our Employment, Welfare and Skills team - one of our biggest and fastest growing research team. Our work is diverse, encompassing research and evaluation on key government policies such Universal Credit, pensions and auto-enrolment, apprenticeship levy and the Industrial Strategy. Increasingly we are working with government departments on research to inform options for trade and business growth post-Brexit. Our clients include central government departments such as Department for International Trade, DWP, HMRC and BEIS, European agencies and think tanks.
We are looking for a researcher with an interest in welfare, skills and business growth policies. We welcome applications from both quantitative specialists and those with mixed quantitative and qualitative skills. You must, however, enjoy working in a fast moving environment and have a passion for business development. You will also need to be self-motivated, have good client management skills, and possess the ability to manage project teams.
Underlying all our work is a curiosity to get to grips with how people live and society can be improved. So if you think that sounds like you, and you have a passion for social research, then come and join our team.
- Managing both quantitative and qualitative research projects from inception through to delivery, managing fieldwork, analysis and reporting and presenting findings to clients
- Effective communication with clients including senior policy makers, and internal and external suppliers
- Write smaller proposals and contribute to more complex proposals
- Draft questionnaires and discussion guides that meet clients and stakeholders’ objectives, including creative approaches where relevant
- Write reports and presentations that deliver insights to meet the client's objectives
- Monitor a project’s financial progress, identifying problems and suggesting solutions
- Be the key point of contact for clients on project-related matters, taking a proactive approach to develop knowledge of the client’s business
- Effectively manage relationships with suppliers and with internal operations colleagues to ensure the objectives of the research are met and on budget
- Provide guidance, support and coaching to junior team member
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Excellent project management and budgeting skills, able to work to tight and demanding deadlines to deliver profitable work and assure quality of all outputs
- Proficiency in Excel, SPSS and other packages
- Be logical and able to understand complex data
- Excellent communication, client handling and supplier negotiation skills
- Time management skills and able to work across multiple projects, prioritising tasks efficiently
- Excellent writing skills and experience of preparing reports and presentations, with a high level of accurate use of English, including the ability to write in a variety of styles
- Interest in developing junior members of the team to fulfil their potential.
- Proven ability to work well in teams with input from specialists (e.g. qual recruiters, evaluation practitioners, and economists)
- Policy knowledge and expertise in relevant areas or proven ability to pick up new policy areas quickly
In return, we offer:
- A competitive package, with a commitment to personal development where your efforts and achievements are recognised and rewarded
- A creative, busy, open and supportive working environment
- The opportunity to get involved with innovative techniques in addition to more traditional research methods
Ipsos is one of the world’s largest market research companies with offices in 88 countries. We are an innovative, entrepreneurial, client-focused organisation, providing research services to over 5,000 clients worldwide. We are the only global market research company that is still controlled and operated by market researchers. We are intellectually curious and passionate researchers who set ourselves high standards and aim to work collaboratively to service our clients most effectively.