Senior Android Developer
Job reference number 85750
Senior Android Developer
Not many companies can say they’ve been around for 500 years and were founded by Henry VIII, but we can. Royal Mail is the UK’s designated Universal Postal Service Provider, supporting customers, businesses and communities around the country. We are the only postal company to provide a one-price-goes-anywhere, six days a week service to more than 29 million addresses across the UK.
It is an exciting time to join Royal Mail. As one of the UK's leading companies, we generated revenue of £9,776m in 2016-17. On top of this, we have recently undertaken an extensive review and transformation of the Technology function, one of the largest IT transformation programmes across the UK. With this transformation now complete, there is significant potential for growth and success.
Digital is now at the heart of our business and drives our vision of enabling smarter working - from Front Line colleagues through to Head Office. At the same time we strive to deliver innovative products and services through a world class customer experience.
ARE YOU A TALENTED ANDROID DEVELOPER LOOKING TO TRANSFORM ONE OF THE WORLD’S
OLDEST COMPANIES HANDLING 16 BILLION LETTERS AND 1 BILLION PARCELS A YEAR,
DELIVERING TO MORE THAN 29 MILLION ADDRESSES, 6 DAYS A WEEK!?
BE A DRIVING PART OF THE LARGEST PDA WORKFORCE DEPLOYMENT IN EUROPE
Royal Mail Group (RMG) are building an Android Development Centre of Excellence in London as
part of their ongoing transformation. This is an opportunity to be part of the digital and agile
transformation of Royal Mail’s core delivery network - which is in the process of deploying the
largest PDA solution in Europe with 80,000 Android devices. Based on the latest technology we
have exciting plans to further exploit this technology and bring further agility to a platform which is
at the heart of the business.
This role is a key enabler in allowing RMG to build an in-house development capability to deliver
Android applications capable of operating at an enterprise scale with significant transaction
volumes, users and data.
As an Android Developer you will be able to analyse & take business requirements, create clean &
testable designs meeting both functional & non-functional requirements, and facilitate team &
technical direction - working collaboratively with Architects & Developers to produce optimal
* Passion for developing Android apps using the Android SDK
* Experience with popular third-party Android libraries (e.g. Retrofit/OkHttp/Dagger/Rx)
* Enthusiastic about agile development lifecycle including CI & CD
* Posses a strong understanding of mobile architecture, patterns & principles
* Treat Espresso & unit tests as highly as production code
* Ability to communicate clearly about code and mentor others
* Protect quality via pull requests reviews and identify technical debt
* Help improve company-wide development standards
* Active in the Android community
* Contribute to or have published open-source projects
* Capable of developing offline-first solutions
* Experience with platforms other than Android
* Experience working with Mobile Device Management (MDM) tools
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values. We welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all of our job applicants.
Closing Date: 22/02/2018
Data Management, Developer, Information Technology, Programmer, Open Source, Data, Technology