Technical Accounting Manager
Technical Accounting Manager
Job ID: R-56444
Salary: Up to £50,000 + 10% annual bonus
Aviva provides around 31 million customers worldwide with insurance, savings and investment products. We are the UK?s largest insurer and one of Europe?s leading providers of life and general insurance. We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand. We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
Aviva?s has new global operating model for Finance, based on shared services supporting the markets and a leaner corporate centre consisting of four pillars.
The four pillars of this global operating model are:
- Aviva Finance Markets (AFM): a commercial team who will be a co-pilot to the market CEOs and business leadership teams.
- Aviva Finance Operations (AFO): a highly effective and agile team managing resources and providing excellent services to the rest of our function.
- Aviva Finance Technical (AFT): a team of Finance experts who will leverage our global technical expertise in areas like investments, tax, hedging, re-insurance and accounting and actuarial advisory to provide ?solutions? which are consistent across Finance.
- Aviva Finance Corporate (AFC): an insight-oriented team who will own headquarter functions such as Investor Relations, Capital Allocation, Treasury, Financial Planning & Analysis, and Mergers & Acquisitions.
The Technical Advisory and Policy team is part of AFT and owns and advises on group accounting policy and its application globally. The team also advises on regulatory reporting policy.
In particular the team:
- Provides accounting advisory support on a wide range of queries, transactions and projects, partnering the Markets and Centre in making financial decisions.
- Supports high quality external and internal reporting delivery.
- Supports the interpretation and implementation of new accounting developments and inputs into Aviva?s lobbying position.
- Owns Group reporting manuals in respect of IFRS and Solvency II.
- Provides relevant training.
Key Role Responsibilities
The primary purpose of the role will be to support the General Insurance and Non-Life Technical Accounting Lead to deliver best in class technical accounting advisory support to the General Insurance Markets and to the non-Life Businesses. As a manager in the team key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Accounting advisory support on a range of queries, transactions and projects.
- Review and quality assurance of external and internal reporting deliveries.
- Engagement and issue resolution with external audit on technical accounting matters.
- Interpretation and implementation of new accounting developments.
- Contributes to updates to Group accounting manuals.
- Provide training to wider finance on areas of expertise.
We are looking for a qualified accountant with good knowledge of IFRS and/or the regulatory reporting environment within which Aviva operates. Broad but less in depth knowledge of other reporting bases used by Aviva preferable but not essential.
- Degree level or equivalent
- Qualified Accountant with relevant experience at a large insurer or with an audit/advisory background.
- Good knowledge of IFRS and/or the regulatory reporting environment within which Aviva operates. Broad but less in depth knowledge of other reporting bases used by Aviva preferable but not essential.
- Broad but strong technical accounting analysis skills with some experience of researching, understanding, interpreting and applying accounting standards.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Can articulate complex analysis. Excellent written and oral skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and stakeholder management ? can work with colleagues across disciplines.
- Exercises sound and balanced judgement in complex situations.
- Proven ability to manage a portfolio of work.
- Can flex priorities in line with changing business needs.
- Attention to detail and controls focus, strives to keep the business safe from financial misstatement.
Bring to Aviva what makes you different and we?ll support you to do the best work of your life. We encourage applications from everyone who wants to help us achieve our purpose of helping our customers to Defy Uncertainty.
Becoming a more inclusive and diverse organisation is a business imperative. 87% of our people feel that people from diverse backgrounds can succeed at Aviva. We are accelerating our strategy through innovative practices and expert partners.
One of Aviva?s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, of flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and career responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
This job was originally posted as www.cityjobs.com/job/959869832