H&S Regional Group Manager - Operations, Bedford
Highways England are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website:
Highways England is currently recruiting a Health and Safety Group Manager on a permanent basis to be based in our Bedford office. The Health and Safety Group Manager will have the opportunity to shape health and safety performance within both employees and the supply chain on a daily basis. The successful candidate will help deliver a cultural shift in the organisation by championing and driving the principle of safety by design and collaboration to ensure that Highways England are adding value through the pre-construction period into the effective delivery.
Day to day
- Be part of the Pre-Construction & Supply Chain Development & Performance senior management team that is accountable for championing the health and safety function
- Support the progress of the health and safety supply chain development & performance and provide functional input to team decisions.
- Managing resources proactively by planning and working with others to ensure the best health and safety support can be provided on a national basis.
- Build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders to influence across boundaries and inform policymaking both regionally and nationally - success will be gauged through positive engagement scores and a recognisable improvement in health and safety performance with all your stakeholders.
- Degree or NEBOSH Diploma in Health and Safety (or equivalent)
- Membership of a recognised engineering or safety professional body, e.g.CMIOSH
- Demonstrable experience of working with Client organisations or similar in developing supply chain strategies which will align to Highway England's imperatives and behaviours.
- Demonstrable experience in CDM 2015 managing and assuring health and safety in design or construction, preferably working for a major infrastructure asset owner or developer
- Experience of delivery of client responsibilities can clearly be demonstrated.
- Ability to understand and analyse complex information and present it simply and accurately
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application. You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at .uk/