Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of new product introduction projects from initial concept through to release to production and beyond. This includes interpreting customer requirements, defining specifications and developing robust electro-mechanical design solutions to meet these requirements on time and to budget.
The role includes (but is not limited to) the following duties:-
- The production and interpretation of engineering drawings and specifications in accordance with the appropriate national and international standards.
- Project Management -- Delivering all aspects of the project to agreed timescales. Identification of project risk and implementation of mitigation or contingency activity as appropriate.
- Interfacing with customers, internal and external. As the product expert, you will be expected to provide technical support and guidance where required.
- Demonstrate suitability of proposed design solutions through the use of appropriate engineering tools and practices e.g tolerance analysis, stress analysis, DFMEA, PFMEA, reliability analysis, design for manufacture etc.
- Define and conduct product testing as appropriate. This will include mechanical (endurance, shock, vibration etc) and environmental (temperature, humidity, chemical etc).
- Creation and maintenance of the project design dossier.
Qualifications and Experience
The candidate will possess the following essential criteria:-
- BEng or BSc in Mechanical Engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years experience working within an electro-mechanical design environment.
- Candidates with HND or HNC with considerable experience of electro-mechanical design are invited to apply for the position.
- Experience of a 3D modelling software package (parts, assemblies and drawings).
- A demonstrable understanding of engineering materials their properties and selection criteria.
- Full UK driving license.
Preferred Skills The following skills are considered desirable and will enhance the profile of the candidate.
- Computer literacy with experience in the use of the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Experience of 2D drafting, preferably AutoCAD.
- Experience with 3D surface modelling, preferably Pro Engineer or Solid Works.
- Finite Element Analysis -- Stress, modal, non-linear and / or magnetics.
- Ability to use Six Sigma development tools and analyse product performance.
- Experienced in the use of zinc die castings and plastic mouldings in product design.
- Design experience of load bearing mechanical mechanisms with a sound understanding of wear and failure mechanisms.
- Familiarity with the requirements of the off-highway vehicle market e.g PPAP etc.
- Familiarity with the requirements of EN13849-1 PLD Machinery Directive or SIL2.
- A sound understanding of DFM/DFA techniques.
- Experience in the use of root cause analysis tools e.g 8D.
- Whilst the role is primarily focused on electro-mechanical engineering, some knowledge of electronics or magnetics would be advantageous.
The candidate will demonstrate the following behavioural traits:-
- Methodical, is able to demonstrate good planning and implementation skills.
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the business as well as with customers and suppliers.
- Good interpersonal skills. The candidate will be a team player, capable of motivating, mentoring and disseminating their knowledge to less experienced members of the team. Will be prepared to learn and follow guidance of others.
- Dedicated to achieving the expectations for the role. Flexible and committed to development of their engineering skills in a culture of continuous improvement.
This position may require exposure to information which is subject to export control regulations such as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must meet eligibility requirements of the ITAR and of the UK/EU through completion of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) application. In the event information provided on the BPSS application reveals ineligibility to access US export controlled information, any offer of employment may be withdrawn.
Curtiss-Wright values diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you require accommodation due to a disability at any time during the recruitment and/or assessment process, please contact Talent Acquisition opens an email client application and we will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate your request.
Transform Your Tomorrow...Today at Curtiss-Wright
At Curtiss-Wright, you have the opportunity to transform the way our customers do business, as well as transform your career. Our entrepreneurial environment provides our employees with excellent experiences that enable them to develop their skills through stretch assignments and the opportunity to work with the best talent in the industry. At Curtiss-Wright, you will have the opportunity to contribute from day one - and that's just the beginning of how we help you transform your tomorrow.
Curtiss-Wright Corporation (NYSE:CW) is a global innovative company that delivers highly engineered, critical function products and services to the commercial, industrial, defense and energy markets. Building on the heritage of Glenn Curtiss and the Wright brothers, Curtiss-Wright has a long tradition of providing reliable solutions through trusted customer relationships. The company employs approximately 10,000 people worldwide, and has a turnover of over $2.5 billion per annum.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959917138