Lead Controls Engineer
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
The Lead Controls System Engineer will manage a team of Controls Engineers to deliver project(s) to requisite quality standards within time and budget.
They will take responsibility for the delivery of the technical scope of the project throughout the complete project lifecycle from initial concept design through to handover and completion.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Determining the requirements for Design Quality planningOriginating concepts and co-ordinating the direction of other staff in the preparation and evaluation of conceptual designs and proposals that will meet requirements and cost budgets.Reviewing the content of work to be undertaken in the project award stage, assessing engineering and design resource requirements and cost estimates.Examining the scope of required engineering and design work, identifying discrete work packages, generating task schedules, preparing detailed design plans and ensuring these align with overall programme requirements and identifying and agreeing resource and interface requirements and arrangements.Expanding the work breakdown structure and project programme where this will allow more accurate monitoring of spend and progress.Agreeing the man-hour budget and timescales for all engineering and design tasks identified on the work breakdown structure with the Project Manager.Specifying, allocating or arranging the allocation of required engineering and design work.Co-ordinating, supervising and, where required, undertaking the required engineering work.Providing the day to day supervision and management of engineering and design staff assigned to the project team, ensuring the activities are completed on time within budget, and at the required levels of quality.Regularly monitoring and accurately reporting the progress of all assigned engineering and design work, including the provision of accurate "Estimates to Complete".Regularly taking part in project review meetings with the Project Manager and with the Engineering management team.Liaise with the client and suppliers, as agreed with the Project Manager.Liaise with the installation and commissioning teams.Assisting the Team Leader with the development of staff, including SQEP reviews, performance feedback and contributing to PDPs.Participating in audits when required and ensuring any resulting corrective actions areLeading the team in a manner that promotes collaborative working, contributions from all members and positive team spirit.Identifying change to the Project Manager and agreeing an appropriate way forward with the Project Manager to manage such change.Ensuring that risk assessments are carried out in accordance with operational procedures and statutory requirements.Ensuring that design record files for the project are properly initiated, maintained and completed in accordance with operational procedures and statutory health and safety requirements.The preparation of complete designs for complex low-level control systems, including sketches, reports and other required documentation in accordance with company procedures and project requirements.Preparation of functional design specifications for complex low-level control systems.The design, development test, and onsite commissioning of PLC software control components and implementation builds, in accordance with company procedures and project requirements, using industrial automation solutions. The majority of this work will be carried out using Siemens S7 technology in Simatic Manager and TIA Portal, and utilising the different programming languages within the S7 software.The analysis and solution of engineering problems of varying complexity which arise in design, build, test, installation and commissioning.The specification, evaluation and selection of control equipment.Have a positive approach to working on customer sites and willingness to work outside of normal hours when necessary.
SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Ability to plan and organise multiple workload requirements
- Ability to work to and manage defined deadlines within programme and budget
- Ability to lead a team of skilled engineers, providing technical guidance, project support, reporting, personal guidance and support.
- Be capable of demonstrating a structured approach to justifying key engineering decisions.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of Airline/Handler baggage operational processes.
- Experience of working with Project teams and an understanding of the project management process
- Experience of producing software for Siemens S7 300/400 PLCs and latest generation processors.
- Experience of producing software for PLC based control systems.
- Experience of commissioning PLC based control systems at customer sites.
- Have worked with ProfiBus and AS-I networks, and associated devices.
- Experience of leading teams of control system engineers.
- Experience of working in an ISO9001 environment.
- Have experience of working with corporate libraries and source code.
- Minimum of a degree in an engineering or computer science related discipline.
- Full airside pass or the ability to obtain one
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959913954