Systems Administrator (Windows or Linux)
Senior Systems Administrator (Windows or Linux)
£40,000 - £45,000 plus discretionary bonus, private healthcare (incl dental), life insurance, critical illness insurance, 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays, tech fund, cycle scheme, childcare vouchers and many more.
Our client is a small, friendly, fast-growing, multi-award-winning company providing managed hosting and cloud services to businesses and government. An opportunity has arisen for a Senior Systems Administrator to join a company that offers an excellent environment to continue to develop their skills and gain experience with many new technologies. They also offer extensive in-house and external training.
The Senior Systems Administrator role will encompass responsibility for the technical design, planning, implementation, and the highest level of performance tuning and recovery procedures for mission critical enterprise systems. They will serve as a technical expert in the area of system administration for complex operating systems, as well as recommending the redesign and configuration of operating systems and system applications.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Running and managing large scale projects from start to finish
- Mentoring of junior team members
- Managing large scale outages and co-ordinating the technical operations of the team
- Acting as an escalation point for technical issues during and outside working hours
- Troubleshooting as required
- Leading problem-solving efforts, sometimes involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organisations
- Keeping up to date with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommending ways for our client to take advantage of new technology
- Developing tools, procedures, and training sessions for Operations, First Line Support and Development staff
- Developing procedures, programs and documentation for the backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications
- Developing procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorised use, acts of nature and user abuse
- Ensuring high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources
- Establishing guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems and disk arrays
- Maintaining excellent communication skills within your team and with customers via phone, email and conference calls
- Being part of an on-call rota for handling out of hours service and customer issues
The successful candidate must have:
- Experience of either Windows or Linux (both is preferable) OS, including one of the below qualifications, depending on the OS:
- LPIC-2 and/or RHCE (for Linux)
- MCSA and/or MCSE (for Windows)
The following is also essential:
- Solid networking skills/experience
- At least 5 years’ operational experience with a specific operating system or technology
- The ability to act as a subject matter expert in at least one area
- Experience with Virtualisation, including:
- Xen, KVM and/or Hyper-V
- Image creation and working with different image formats
The following experience would be beneficial to your application:
- Configuration management systems, e.g. Puppet/Ansible
- Scripting in an OS relevant language, e.g. Bash/PowerShell
Due to our client’s rural location, you should be able to drive and have own car. Alternatively, we offer a shuttle bus service from Guildford train station via Godalming.
As part of the recruitment process you will be required to complete personality profiling, aptitude tests as well as a basic DBS check and Security Clearance.
To apply for the role of Senior Systems Administrator, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Senior Systems Administrator, Linux Systems Administrator, Windows Systems Administrator, Network Support Engineer, Infrastructure Support Engineer, Network Engineer, Linux Administrator, Systems Administrator.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959919878