Senior Software Engineer
Summary of role A fantastic opportunity to join Raytheon UK in our brand new Cyber Centre based in Manchester. We develop software using a variety of Agile methodologies and you will be involved fully in the software development lifecycle, working closely with the entire team in a truly Agile environment. Working for Raytheon you will be part of a growing team, working alongside world class partner organisations. Raytheon supports on-going professional development through both formal and on-the-job training to help you further develop your career and develop your management and leadership potential.
Main duties of the position Primary Objective: To design, develop and maintain mission critical applications and systems as part of an Agile team.
- Play a leading role in an Agile Software Delivery Team from both a technical and behavioural perspective.
- Support the development of a high performing team with a focus on software excellence
- Effective Line Management of the Junior Software Engineers in your team (typically 2-3) including facilitating their personal development.
- Mentoring of team members and colleagues beyond your line management remit.
- Hold accountability for the software produced by your staff.
- Contribute to the development of the teams standards of software engineering practice applied in your team.
- Drive the continuous improvement of practice and code within your team.
- Design and develop new product functionality within the context of an Agile software delivery team.
- Apply hands on best practice to your team’s code.
- Collaborate with your peers on Technical direction within your team.
Candidate Requirements Essential Skills:
- Significant experience of applying Design Patterns to complex problems.
- Significant experience working in an Agile delivery team.
- Significant experience using Continuous Integration.
- Significant experience using TDD.
- Significant experience using BDD.
- Working understanding of SOLID.
- Experience of applying Software Architecture Patterns.
- Experience building enterprise level web applications, services or embedded software.
- Working knowledge of at least 2 compiled languages.
- Working knowledge of at least 2 scripting or interpreted languages.
- Familiarity with Data gathering, visualisation techniques and tools.
- Familiarity with structured and unstructured storage of Data.
- Understanding of virtualisation.
- Experience working in a continuous delivery environment.
- Experience working with infrastructure as code technologies.
- Experience working with Big Data technologies.
- Experience working with cloud technologies and distributed systems.
- Experience working with containerisation.
- Experience working on military or government projects.
- Experience working with secure development techniques.
- Knowledge of information security best practice.
- Good interpersonal skills for customer and partner liaison
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good time management, organisation and prioritisation skills
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to promote innovation
- A desire to learn and constantly expand your horizons
- Ability to work closely with others in a small team
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of initiative and flexibility
- Willingness to travel if required
Qualifications: Degree in Numerate Subject or equivalent industry experience essential.
Evidence of ongoing professional development.
Typical Experience We are looking for software engineers, with professional experience. Hands on experience in an Agile delivery team using industry best of breed technology and techniques within a digital focused organisation.
Raytheon Cyber Security Raytheon has decades of experience in cyber, information operations and information assurance to successfully protect our global customers’ critical infrastructure from the most complex threats. Increasing demand for our capabilities has led us to require the building of a new Innovation Centre to support our government, law enforcement and commercial customers. This will create a broad spectrum of new roles to support our customers in developing solutions for cyber security, research and mission support both technical and non-technical.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who are looking for something different from their career and who are demanding of themselves and others around them to achieve success. Raytheon's ambition is to provide an environment that is more silicon valley than security and defence. We want to encourage individual innovation and progression that is both exciting and rewarding, avoiding the dull 'beige' of the standard information security companies.
If you are looking for a role and a team that will challenge you to achieve success for our customers then providing you have the skills and the ability to achieve Government clearance we want to hear from you today.
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959919329