Our client, a leading multi-media news publisher who offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package is currently seeking a proven DevOps Systems Engineer with a strong understanding of Amazon AWS or Google Cloud Platform products, services, design and architecture principles. As the DevOps Systems Engineer, you will report directly to the Head of Systems Engineering. As part of the SE team, this role will work embedded directly in the product teams.
This position is responsible for collaborating directly with the development teams to facilitate and unblock their sprints, along with working with the rest of the operations team to build our cloud infrastructure. Responsibilities will focus on production support, automation of development environments, tools chains (integration/deployment) as well as our AWS & GCP infrastructure to provide robust, repeatable and resilient solutions.
Three main areas of expertise required (Essential) for this role is:
- cloud experience (4 years): AWS or GCP
- Containers: Docker, Kubernetes, ECS, etc.
- Cloud automation: Cloudformation and/or Terraform
Key job responsibilities
- Production support
- Automate and maintain server provisioning and application deployment
- Releasing products and applications safely into the live production environment.
- Maintain and improve build automation, the supporting systems and applications which comprise the build infrastructure.
- Continually improve the speed, efficiency, and scalability of the build processes and infrastructure.
- Create and maintain documentation on the build systems, infrastructure, and processes.
- Manage release and builds with third party vendors both onshore and offshore
- Validation and gathering of requirements which drive release timelines
- Work directly with development team to facilitate delivery of products
- Guide development streams providing insight into operational best practices
- Passion and commitment to delivering high-quality software
- Must be able to participate in an on call rota
Essential Specific Requirements / Skills
- Experience in an operational role responsible for a large, public-facing website
- Strong understanding of Amazon AWS or Google Cloud Platform products, services, design and architecture principles - infrastructure as code: cloudformation / terraform
- Container automation and management : Docker / ECS / Kubernetes
Requirements & Skills
- Strong practical experience with GNU/Linux system administration, application servers, build automation and system configuration tools (i.e. Jenkins/Bamboo, Puppet/Chef)
- An understanding of and experience with code stream management and branching models e.g. Gitflow
- Provable practical knowledge of one of: bash / python / node / scala / java
- Ability to identify areas where tasks can be automated/streamlined and see this through
- Experience with relational / non-relational databases and related tools
- Ability to author, communicate, and enforce a solid understanding of release engineering best practices including security and automated recovery
- Strong problem solving, debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Ability and willingness to work in demanding, highly collaborative environment
- Ability to balance operational and development requirements to deliver stable products
- Mentoring experience
- Develops and maintains one or more defined communication channels and/or stakeholder groups, acting as a single point of contact.
- Gathers information from the customer to understand their needs (demand management) and detailed requirements.
- Facilitates open communication and discussion between stakeholders, using feedback to assess and promote understanding of need for future changes in services, products and systems.
- Agrees changes to be made and the planning and implementation of change.
- Maintains contact with the customer and stakeholders throughout to ensure satisfaction
This job was originally posted as www.jobsite.co.uk/job/959909861