Senior Legal Counsel
Senior Legal Counsel (Part Time / Flexi)
Opus 2 International is a rapidly growing company offering market-leading technology and services to the legal profession around the world.
The Opus 2 group is headquartered in London, is highly profitable and headed by a team with a record of sustained commercial successes. As our group expands, we are seeking a highly capable commercial lawyer to take on a genuinely fast-paced, autonomous role as the Opus 2 group’s sole in-house legal counsel.
Although we will be interested in all applicants with appropriate credentials, we believe that the role would suit a candidate with in-house commercial experience, who wishes to move into a senior, independent role in an entrepreneurial environment. The role offers an exceptional opportunity to join a successful growing company at the early stage of its growth cycle.
Opus 2’s success has been underpinned by Magnum, a web-based tool which has made paperless court trials a reality and has revolutionised the way in which lawyers access, share and manage their documents in the trial preparation phase and beyond. Since its launch on Berezovsky v Abramovich in 2011, Magnum has become a near industry standard on all major litigation and arbitration in the UK. Use of the technology is now also rapidly gathering pace in the US and Asia.
Opus 2 has more recently broadened its product portfolio to include Annotate, an in-document annotation and collaboration tool and Forum, a web-based virtual data room tool for the corporate market.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and acting as a trusted adviser to the senior management team;
- Responsible for the legal and compliance requirements of the business internationally, spanning the company’s offices in London, Edinburgh, San Francisco, New York and Singapore;
- Responsible for maintaining, reviewing, drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts;
- Strategic oversight of the company’s IP portfolio;
- Management of the company’s external legal advisors;
- Supporting the HR function on employment issues where required;
- Leading on legal risk management and compliance; in particular drafting and updating company policies and procedures and advising on compliance planning (for example, GDPR);
- Keeping up to date on legal and regulatory changes and informing relevant business stakeholders.
- Commercial lawyer with in-house experience (4 years PQE+ as a guide - more or less experienced candidates will be considered);
- Exposure to a wide variety of legal areas, with some experience in or a good understanding of general commercial law, intellectual property, data protection and employment law. Experience in dispute resolution not essential but would be of benefit given the main focus of the business;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a range of clients (including senior members of the legal profession), suppliers, employees and senior stakeholders within the business;
- Commercially astute and able to provide fast, accurate and practical advice and support to the business;
- Good problem solving skills and adaptability;
- Able to handle all matters independently and use own initiative;
- Energy, drive and commitment and an ability to manage multiple concurrent activities, all with fluctuating deadlines.
If this is the type of role that interests you or you are looking for a new start please do not hesitate send across your CV. Opus 2 are an exciting, growing business so this is the ideal time to join...
Opus 2 International is an Equal Opportunities employer and applicants are selected solely on the basis of their relevant aptitudes, skills and abilities. No applicant shall receive less favourable treatment on the grounds of sex, marital status, civil partnership status, trans-gender status, pregnancy, maternity, colour race, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, belief, sexual orientation, disability, age. This is not an exclusive list.