Associate - Blast & Security Consultant
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
The Resilience, Security and Risk practice is seeking a talented structural engineer who either has current experience in blast engineering or looking to specialize in blast engineering. The role will involve work on a range of public and private sector projects including the commercial, government, transport, aviation, sport/culture and urban design sectors. Work will be a mix of multi-disciplinary design teams with other Arup offices/groups worldwide or with an external design team, and direct commissions providing a specialist blast engineering/security consultancy service.
Arup’s blast engineering team has designed the protective design measures for some of the world’s leading buildings, including tall buildings, airports, railway stations, bridges, infrastructure and sporting venues. The successful candidate will join the blast engineering team in working closely with clients to implement blast engineering solutions in the design of a range of projects in the aviation, transportation, infrastructure, government and diplomatic, sports and leisure and commercial sectors.
Arup’s blast engineering team has an established capability delivering a diverse range of projects both geographically and across different market sectors. As part of the wider blast engineering team, the candidate will be responsible for developing protective design solutions against terrorist threats as well as industrial and petrochemical explosion hazards, and seeing the design of those solutions through to construction and implementation. Staff therefore have the opportunity to gain a breadth of experience from opportunities across a wide range of projects and locations, including opportunities for travel where desired. The candidate will work closely with design team disciplines both within and outside Arup on a regular basis, including architecture, SMEP, façade engineering, transport and logistics, civil and highways engineering, fire engineering and computational mechanics.
The successful candidate will undertake the blast engineering design of a variety of projects, quickly developing both technical and business-orientated competencies. The candidate will take responsibility both for managing the technical and commercial delivery of projects and for developing successful client relationships. The candidate is likely to be based in San Francisco though other locations will be considered. Our priority is to attract quality staff who have the ability to work in a collaborative, challenging environment and who show the potential for technical excellence in their field.
• Provide technical, project and people leadership for Arup’s Resilience, Security and Risk blast engineering team.
• Provide technical guidance, expertise and peer review on projects being undertaken by the blast engineering and structural resilience team, and, where applicable, on other projects within the practice and within Arup as a whole.
• Engage with clients and/or their representatives to understand their requirements in relation to security risk management and tailor the delivery of the blast consultancy service to their individual needs.
• Provide direction to aid the professional development of other members of the team, both junior engineers and those already chartered.
• Provide ad hoc advice in support of the development of Arup’s blast engineering skills globally.
• Provide technical direction for the research and development activities undertaken by the blast engineering and structural resilience team, including fostering links with academia and opportunities for research and development in collaboration with industry.
• Lead the blast engineering design in response to a risk-based threat and vulnerability assessment. Blast engineering will usually be based on person- and vehicle-borne explosive threats, and will encompass structural blast engineering for a variety of new-build and existing structures, blast engineering of glazed and non-glazed façades, and design of hostile vehicle mitigation measures. Work may also include design against industrial explosions including petrochemical and dust explosions and mechanical explosions. Responsibilities will also include leading the development of the threat and risk assessment or the design basis threats for the subsequent blast engineering design, development of the security strategy and delivery of the electronic security design, physical security design and the development of security management procedures as an integral part of the overall security design solution where applicable.
• Make a full and active contribution to the leadership of Arup’s Resilience, Security & Risk team.
The candidate will be based in the Arup London offices and travel out of the UK to meet project requirements or to support the development of Arup’s Resilience, Security & Risk services globally will be necessary upon occasion.
Requirements and Skills
Associate with a strong background in structural engineering. The candidate will be a Chartered Engineer and will be a Member the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers or an equivalent professional institution. UK Security Clearance (or equivalent in home country) or the suitability to apply for security clearance is an essential prerequisite. Membership of the Register of Security Engineers and Specialists is highly desirable.
Essential Skills and Experience
• Masters degree in civil/structural engineering.
• Highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
• Specialist interest in a research-intensive area through academic study or practice.
• A minimum of 8 years’ relevant professional experience.
• Professional qualification with an engineering institution appropriate to the candidate’s discipline.
• Proven expertise in transient structural dynamics and blast engineering and design in particular.
• Proven ability to lead the delivery of blast engineering and counter-terrorist design projects in a multi-disciplinary design team environment comprising architecture, SMEP, façade engineering, transport and landscape/urban design.
• Sound understanding of the theory of structural analysis, structural dynamics, single degree of freedom analysis and nonlinear explicit finite element analysis.
• Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills.
• Effective communication at all levels.
• Effective leadership abilities across a breadth of technical, managerial and leadership competencies.
• Ability to develop and maintain successful client relationships and to develop new business, including delivery of well-structured technical and commercial proposals.
Desirable Skills and Experience
• Higher qualification in field relevant to blast or security engineering.
• Experience in the design of structurally complex systems or the design of structures for unusual or extreme loading conditions.
• Knowledge of industrial explosions, including petrochemical and dust deflagrations.
• Background in risk engineering or risk-based design.
• Expertise in structural robustness and design against disproportionate collapse.
• Design and specification of physical security systems including hostile vehicle mitigation, ballistic and forced-entry resistant systems as well as access control measures.
• Experience of nonlinear explicit finite element analysis and/or computational fluid dynamics for transient dynamic applications.
• Experience of specification or execution of physical blast testing or other destructive testing.
• Understanding of construction methodologies and consideration of buildability issues within the design process.
• Published conference and/or peer-reviewed journal papers in a relevant subject area.
• Appreciation of the issues associated with working outside established codes of practice.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.