Deputy Director of Science
Harris Boys’ Academy East Dulwich opened in September 2009 and is part of the Outstanding Harris Federation. Our vision is clear: nothing is impossible and everything is possible, irrespective of personal characteristics or background. Every problem has a solution. We believe we are more robust, resilient and determined as a team than as a group of individuals. We support, challenge and hold each other to account at all levels within the academy to ensure that our students achieve their potential, are motivated, engaged and fully prepared for life beyond our academy. The academy’s specialisms are Enterprise and Sport with a ‘can-do’ ethos of always improving upon your personal best. We have now reached our full capacity of 750 students across Years 7 to 11 and we work in partnership with Harris Federation Post 16. In 2017, we achieved a Progress 8 score of +0.76, which places us in the top 5% of schools nationally.
We are looking for a hardworking, ambitious and dynamic Deputy Director of Science (Chemistry & Physics) to lead the Harris Boys’ Academy East Dulwich towards excellence. You will have excellent opportunities to engage in wider Harris Federation academy improvement and professional development activities.
With Science teaching experience, you will be an outstanding classroom practitioner with a proven track record of success in raising standards and in innovation.
- To deputise for the Director. To assist in leading the creation and establishment of outstanding provision within the subject area. This to include all programmes systems and structures taking account of the academy’s values and vision leading to outstanding teaching and learning.
- To be accountable for student progress and development in the subject area across KS3, KS4 and post 16, including meeting student achievement targets for subject areas which are agreed by the Principal and the Governing Body.
- To ensure high standards of teaching and learning across the subject area through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students in the subject area, in accordance with the academy aims and policies, as determined by the Principal and Governing Body.
- To ensure that all school policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by all staff in the subject area.
- To ensure agreed tutor programme is implemented and that tutors are effective in their role.
- To effectively and efficiently manage and deploy teaching/support staff, financial and physical resources across the subject area.
To lead development for literacy, within subject areas, to raise standards of Literacy across the Academy.
Why work at Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich?
- A school in the top 5% in England and Wales, and the number seven boys' comprehensive school, for student progress
- Judged 'Outstanding' by Ofsted, we combine the traditional values of discipline, respect and good behaviour with contemporary best practice in teaching, learning and technology
- Excellent opportunities for personal and professional development
- Generous Harris rewards and benefits
For more information, please contact the school on 020 8299 5300.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement.