Senior Software Engineer
Are you a Senior Data Engineer who wants to work for a strong and creative online travel technology company? Do you have a passion for turning data into meaningful information? Does working on a premier analytics platform backed by a cutting edge Data Platform scaling to hundreds of terabytes any interest? Do you want to work with (and learn how to use) the latest Data technologies in the Hadoop ecosystem? If any of those are true…Expedia is looking for YOU!
The Hotels.com team at Expedia Inc. is looking for an expert, highly motivated, disciplined Data Engineer to join the Hotels.com Data Engineering (HDE) team. In this role you will be responsible for the delivery of solutions on top of the Hadoop and AWS platform and will play a key role in a huge technology pivot. This entails working with the delivery team and business partners understand requirements, complete solution design, development and ultimate delivery to the end consumers. Our team has experience using a wide range of technologies and many years of Hadoop experience so we guarantee that you won't be bored and will learn a lot. We are also constantly looking for ways to improve our development methodologies and welcome fresh ideas and approaches.
- Develop various facets of the Hadoop Java/Hadoop ecosystem.
- Write clear, efficient, tested code.
- Develop code as part of a wider team through pair programming and code reviews.
- Contribute to both program and system architecture.
- Evolve development standards and design patterns.
- Work with business partners to flesh out and deliver on requirements in an agile manner.
- Deploy and maintain applications in production environments.
- Communicate and document solutions and design decisions.
- Understand AWS standard methodologies.
Desired experience and skills
We do not believe in matching against a list of buzzwords - we look for smart people with good general programming skills as we believe that creative developers can learn new technologies quickly and well. However it wouldn't hurt if you have experience with some of the following (or at least an interest in learning them):
- At least 5 years of Java server-side programming (this is actually a hard requirement).
- The Hadoop ecosystem - including Hive, Oozie, Cascading, HBase.
- Agile development methodologies including scrum, code reviews, pair programming.
- Object oriented design and development.
- Performance and scalability tuning, algorithms and computational complexity.
- Data Warehousing and ETL development.
- Open source libraries and tools such as Spring, Maven, Guava, Apache Commons, Eclipse, Git, Jira, Jenkins.
- Unit testing (ideally using Junit and Mockito).
- All things Linux (bash scripting, grep, sed, awk etc.)
- MS/BS degree in a computer science field or related discipline is nice but not essential.
- Processing massive structured and unstructured data sets.
What we offer
- An environment where elegant, clean, maintainable code is favored over messy hacks.
- A friendly, smart team who are keen to share their knowledge and learn new things.
- A chance to work with massive data sets numbering literally billions of items and approaching a petabyte in total size.
- Opportunities to learn and apply the latest Cloud technologies on a fast growing Hadoop cluster.
- Competitive salaries and many growth opportunities within the company.
- A comprehensive suite of benefits including private health insurance, pension plan, dental benefits, gym memberships and much more.
- Travel discounts for employees as well as their friends and families.
- A fantastic office in central London (Angel) with a massive roof terrace and activities on offer in the building including foosball, yoga and massages.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/79154923