Upside Energy is looking for passionate and skilled software engineers to join us in our mission to transform the energy system by making it easier to integrate renewable generation onto the grid.
Our cloud platform uses advanced algorithms and artificial intelligence to create our Virtual Energy Store™ by coordinating the energy stored in hundreds of thousands of devices owned by businesses and households across the UK. Developing this platform, with a focus on security, scalability and resilience while allowing us to run a novel and constantly evolving suite of algorithms, is core to Upside.
At the heart of our strategy is a stack of cloud-native applications built on Java Spring, AWS, Docker, Prometheus, Angular, and Kubernetes complemented by modelling and algorithm development environments in Python, R and Octave. We operate a highly agile development approach, giving wide scope to be involved with hands-on system-design, test driven development, testing, deployment and operations.
You will be joining a team that is innovative and engineering-focused, with a culture that fosters collaboration, fluidity and the application of fresh and original thinking to the creation of a new energy system. Ideally, you have experience in a cloud based company, with a focus on building a resilient, secure and flexible platform — but more than any specific experience, the most important criteria for success will be your talent, energy and passion to help build and shape the future within a collaborative, agile, community-based environment.
- 3+ years of industry experience in software development & design
- Proven experience in Java development and testing frameworks (Java, Java Spring, Junit & Mockito)
- A drive to get things done in a collaborative, agile development environment
- Experience developing, securing or operating cloud scale applications or infrastructure desirable
- Familiarity with container technologies (Docker, Chef, Kubernetes, Opsworks etc) and passion for improving the way cloud applications are built desirable
- Experience in the energy sector preferred, otherwise experience in the telco or industrial engineering sectors would be an advantage
- Ability to travel occasionally to work with partners, customers and colleagues in other offices
- Experience in technical report and documentation writing desirable
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar field
Upside Energy is an award-winning UK startup. The energy system is going through dramatic change, and we are positioning Upside to be at the heart of enabling this transformation. We have ambitious plans for growing Upside with expansion into Europe and ultimately, globally.
We believe in a collaborative, flexible work environment based on respect for, and commitment from, every team member. We are fortunate to have an amazing team of individuals who believe in our mission and value openness, collaboration and teamwork, making Upside a great place to work.
Upside Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/79098341