Software / Firmware Engineer
SOFTWARE / FIRMWARE ENGINEER (PRODUCT)
LOCATION: Ely, Cambridgeshire
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 0900 - 1700 Monday to Friday
SALARY: Competitive depending on qualifications and suitability of experience
My client based in Ely is a market leader in the development, design and manufacture of highly accurate and robust quality (sampling) and quantity (metering) devices for the custody transfer applications in the oil & gas industry. They also design and manufacture packaged systems of sampling and metering stations – which serve as the cash register for the oil & gas industry. Therefore creating products with the highest accuracy and robustness for this challenging environment is not an exception but the norm.
In the last 4-5 years this prestigious employer has had impressive financial success and global presence. It has embarked on ambitious R&D and production activities which have resulted in them now seeking a Software / Firmware Engineer. The successful candidate will join their expanding R&D team in the newly re-furbished state of the art Engineering and Project Management office containing an impressive array of R&D facilities – comprising various flow loops and state of the art GPU based heterogeneous High Performance Computing (HPC).
The R&D group is primarily focused on the Accelerated Development and Delivery of Products that comply with stringent industry standards. They use product creation process (PCP) to accentuate workflow while implementing various project management manuals (waterfall, lean and/or agile) to deliver objectives. These objectives are achieved primarily through a combination of design alterations and optimisations of current products but also and more importantly by innovating new products and processes. The successful candidate will play an active part in this challenge
The role is primarily to develop software tools for integrated and cross-correlated signal sensors that are driven by advanced physics based algorithms for complex flow applications.
We are seeking a strong, multi-talented candidate to join our dynamic, interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to develop disruptive technologies of tomographic applications with end users primarily in the oil & gas industry but also other industries such as functional brain imaging.
You will be a leading and be an integral part of a team making decisions on the design and user experience of automated and predictive flow metering platforms and therefore you will focus on the development of both embedded firmware and software
- Deliver appropriate numerical analysis and simulations – validating it with experiments, interpreting and visualising results for accelerated product design and optimisation
- Write technical reports and memorandums, present results to various audiences, and continue to develop innovative solutions to optimise our array of products
- Be an effective member of the R&D group by sharing ideas and suggestions and providing real solutions to our product development and optimisation
- Where appropriate, take ownership of projects, coordinating with colleagues in other disciplines and managing budgetary and resource requirements and leading to ensure the project delivers to the required specification
- Be adept to PCP and project management methods such as scrum methodology leading high quality sprint meetings while motivating the team
- Show significant emotional intelligence to work with colleagues and customers– always to satisfy changing customer’s needs, and hence the scrum
- Develop firmware for embedded systems using C/C++/python to communicate with sensors and electromechanical systems.
- Work closely with hardware/electrical engineers on PCB layout/testing and software to hardware interfaces
- Develop the automated system backend software with python API to communicate with / control embedded systems,
- Design and develop software architecture based on system requirements
- Collaborate closely with an interdisciplinary R&D team to meet project milestones,
- Maintain thorough and detailed written records
- Qualified to degree level or higher, preferably with post-doctoral or industrial experience within recognised groups, you have experience with object oriented python to accelerate algorithm implementation in FPGA/ASIC systems
- You have experience with microcontrollers (ARM, Arduino or PIC), embedded computers and hardware integration
- You have experience with electrical engineering fundamentals, circuits, PCB design, testing, and troubleshooting
- You have experience or are in developing software architecture for automated systems and electromechanical components
- You have excellent written and oral communication, record keeping and organisation, problem solving, and ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Knowledge and experience in product development processes a plus.
Working in a modern, spacious working environment (with free staff parking) and also within walking distance to Ely rail station. Other benefits include 25 days annual leave (in addition to Bank Holidays), Contributory Auto-Enrolment Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Childcare Voucher Scheme and optional healthcare.
If you would like more information on this fantastic opportunity then please call and speak to a member of our team at Totec or send your CV to Totec today.
All applicants must be eligible to live & work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility is required from candidates as part of the recruitment process (i.e. visa, residency permit, EU passport etc.)
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/79098282