Railway Engineer / Principal Rail Engineer
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public.
Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, justice and immigration, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
Our Serco Rail Technical Services currently require a Principal Engineer to lead and control engineering teams undertaking various aspects of the performance measurement and evaluation of existing and new traction and rolling stock and equipment.
Day to day
- Provision of expert advice on engineering matters of a specialist nature, advice on the procurement of external services as required.
- Direct the management of major items of testing and project work, ensure contractual obligations are met and customer satisfaction is achieved.
- Plan and organise the deployment of engineering staff to undertake project work.
- Define and develop procedures and methods which enable the full scope of acceptance testing to be undertaken to demonstrate conformance with all European and National Standards.
- Approve methods of work and equipment to maintain the integrity of service delivery and results, and ensure the safe conduct of all project activity.
- Exploit new technology and methods of work to maintain continuous improvement within the project team.
- Represent Serco Rail Technical Services on National and International Technical Committees to ensure the development of standards within the rail industry.
- Provision of specialised consultancy service in testing and assessment, safety assessment, resolving service difficulties and approving vehicles. Provision of data for engineering specifications.
- Appraise technical reports to ensure accuracy and validity for customers.
- Ensure technical competence/performance of sub-contractors to maintain professional and technical standards.
- Define and develop procedures and methods to accommodate operation of test trains.
- Deputise for Engineering Manager as and when appropriate.
- Prepare costed proposals for new work in response to customer enquiries.
- Proven practical engineering experience.
- Knowledge of testing techniques, procedures and equipment.
- Practical Instrumentation experience, rail industry desireable.
- Understanding of Project Management
In return we offer a salary up to £40,000 per annum, benefits package including contributory pension, excellent working conditions and the opportunity to further your career within a supportive environment.On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is committed to equal opportunities and requests any potential applicant to contact the Serco Recruitment Team on 0345 010 4000 as soon as possible if an applicant has any additional queries, requirements or will need additional time in submitting an application should the closing date of the advertisement be brought forward.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/79088422