Research Associate (language skills highly desirable) - Financial Services
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Research Associate to join our central London office where you will join Preqin's Private Equity & Venture Capital Deals team - a fast-growing division within the global Research team. Due to the global coverage of our Deals team, foreign languages, particularly German or French, are highly desirable.
Preqin is an award-winning independent research company and a leading provider of data and intelligence to the alternative asset industry. Headquartered in London, we are rapidly growing and have an increasingly global reach with offices in New York, San Francisco, Singapore, Hong Kong, Manila and Guangzhou.
Preqin’s clients include some of the world’s largest fund managers, investment banks, legal firms, institutional investors, financial advisors, placement agents and service providers within the financial services industry. Key decision-makers at these firms rely on Preqin’s services daily, and the company’s data is regularly quoted by the financial press.
The Private Equity & Venture Capital Deals research team strives to ensure that Preqin’s coverage of private equity buyouts and exits along with venture capital financing rounds is accurate, up to date and comprehensive as possible. The role presents an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated individual to gain and/or deepen their knowledge and experience in research across the private equity and venture capital deals.
The role is primarily focused on tracking and researching these deals globally along with maintaining the deals database. Preqin users expect and depend on the data to be of the highest quality, something you will be expected to contribute towards. Opportunities are also available to contribute towards the production of bespoke data analysis for Preqin’s clients and the financial press as well as Preqin’s reports and publications.
Day to day responsibilities include:
- Tracking online news & conducting in-depth online research on PE&VC deals on a daily basis
- Reviewing large amounts of data for the relevant details
- Processing and inputting of the deals information into our online databases in a timely manner
- Performing data quality assurance checks and liaising with the Deals team in other offices to provide feedback on the quality of their output
- Communicating with fund managers via phone & email to obtain accurate information on their investments
- Occasionally performing statistical analysis using MS Excel and putting together reports for publications and client data requests.
- Writing in the 'house’ style to compose online profiles and occasionally provide input to reports and publications.
- With experience, the candidate will be expected to take on training and mentoring of the new team members as well as responsibility for sections of the data to become an expert in that research area.
Key skills and attributes required:
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English. Native/bilingual proficiency or near fluent level of German/French is highly desirable. Knowledge of other languages is also beneficial
- A keen interest in the finance industry and a drive to acquire knowledge is essential
- Comfortable working with numerical data
- Process-oriented with meticulous attention to detail
- Analytical thinker
- Proactive approach to dealing with issues, investigating anomalies and a desire to get to the bottom of a problem
- Drive for research
- Diligence to meet targets and quality standards
- Strong team player with the ability and enthusiasm to work independently
- Education level -Bachelors’ Degree (or equivalent)
- Experience working in a research capacity covering private equity / venture capital / M&A deals is desirable but not essential.
- Sponsorship to undertake professional training and/or industry qualifications
- 25 days holiday per year (excluding bank holidays)
- Free access to gym and swimming pool in the office building
- Pension plan under auto-enrolment
- an interest-free season ticket loan on completion of probation (which is normally 3 months)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Possibility of international travel for strong performers.
Salary £24,000 - £28,000 per annum depending on experience (plus quarterly performance related bonus worth £2,000 per annum).