Database Consultants - PostgreSQL
US privately held Tech company, relatively young software player regarded as a leader in its field. More than 3,300 enterprises, governments + other organizations worldwide use their software, support, training and certifications, + professional services to integrate open source software into their existing data infrastructures.
Currently looking to hire experienced Database Consultants to be based in the UK OR EMEA - ideally Netherlands or Germany.
Please note these are HOME BASED roles and will involve frequent travel to client sites.
We are looking for a customer facing Database Consultant who can work on site and remotely with clients to deliver technical services. This includes understanding their business, developing recommendations, coding, and delivering training where appropriate. The ideal candidate has a strong blend of people skills and in-depth knowledge of database deployments, and has the ability to organize weak or vaguely constructed customer requirements, and turn them into successful engagements with the customer. Communication skills, both written and verbal are as important as technical skills. In addition to delivering technical services, this person in this role will provide feedback to sales and sales engineering for new business opportunities, as well as working with development engineering on helping to define the evolution of our products.
- Provide technical leadership on the implementation of Postgres and the design and implementation of large-scale technical solutions based on business requirements.
- Create, articulate, and document a suite of reference architectures that illustrate the breadth of the Postgres Platform in OLTP and OLAP applications under multiple deployment models
- Publish blogs, white papers and conference contributions
- Develop and ensure compliance with all system and security audit policies.
- Writes complex programming/scripts.
- Help scope and develop technical proposals to achieve customer needs/targets.
- Deliver Postgres courses over the web and on site.
- Design process for database change management related to migration from other databases to Postgres
- Tune SQL statements, Optimize stored procedures, Analyse query plans, Write advanced pgSQL
- Implement Replication, High Availability and Disaster recovery solutions with Postgres
- Implement solutions for Backup/Restore, Management/Monitoring and perform upgrades and patching
- Guide customers on capacity planning for on premise and on cloud deployments for bare metal and virtualized environment
- Provide technical leadership to other database consultants
- Bachelor or Masters in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or equiv experience
- At least five years of DBA level experience with Postgres or other major relational databases
- Hands-on experience with leading deployment models (containers, virtual machines, hypervisors, Puppet, Chef, Salt, Ansible, etc.)
- Hands on experience with leading public cloud infrastructures (AWS, Azure) is a big plus
- Be well versed in SQL
- General system administration and performance skills for Linux, (Ubuntu, Centos, Redhat, or Debian), including scripting languages like BASH, KSH, Python, Perl etc.
- Working knowledge of MS Windows.
- Experience in implementing Postgres STIG implementation, testing, and other vulnerability remediation.
- Proficient with Postgres database management tools like EDB Enterprise Manager (PEM), EDB™s Backup and Recovery Tool (BART)
- Proficient with database tuning and use of Postgres tools such as PgBadger, EDB™s PgStatsPack, EDB™s DRITA
- Proficient with PostgreSQL replication technologies Binary Streaming Replication, EDB™s xDB Replication, Logical Replication via Slony, Londiste
- Proficient with PostgreSQL networking, HBA and connection pooling (PgBouncer, PgPool) Working knowledge of OLTP/DSS/DW system design
- Have strong time management skills, and the ability to balance multiple coincident demands.
- Prior experience in a consulting or professional service environment.
- Able to travel up to 50%
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills and can work with customers directly
- Enterprise DB Database Administration Certification.
- Added advantage of knowledge of administration of MongoDB, LDAP, MySQL.
- Familiarity with programming languages like C, C++, PHP, python, Java or Ruby to guide customers in the development of custom Postgres-based applications
In return for you will receive a base salary of around £100k + Bonus + corporate Benefits package.
Please send your CV (Word not PDF please) + Covering Letter to Tony Timmins, Executive Search Consultant.