Education Development Manager
Vacancy for Education Development Manager
Kielder Observatory Astronomical Society
We are looking to recruit a talented, dedicated passionate individual to have lead responsibility for delivering our unique educational programme to young people in Schools across the North East
Kielder Observatory is an award winning public outreach astronomical facility located in Kielder Forest, Northumberland in some of the darkest skies in Europe and the third largest protected Dark Sky reserve in the world.
Located in Northumberland, England the primary function of the observatory is delivering public events and our goal is to bring in members of the public of all ages to engage in discussions and observations of the Universe. We do this in a way that is friendly, informative and interesting through our outstanding team of astronomers, guest speakers and volunteers and now attract over 24,000 visitors annually.
Building on the success and international reputation that has been developed over the last decade, we will be opening a new observation facility early in 2018 and further phases will follow including a planetarium and staff facilities.
These include but are not limited to:
- successfully managing the delivery programme
- developing a wide range of programme resources
- creating assessment activities
- achieving successful outcomes in line with grant giving bodies and authorities
- developing programme goals and priorities and setting delivery strategies
- directing and evaluating curriculum and programme delivery
- work effectively with school staff, community leaders and organisers in achieving partnership objectives
- maintain accurate budgets and records for programme delivery, attendance, and expenditure
- collaborate with the Chief Executive and observatory staff in the development of creative ideas and marketing materials
- provide teaching cover should the need arise
- administrating and managing the delivery team
Key experience and competencies
You should embody and demonstrate the key values of the charity to Inspire, Enthuse and Educate people of all ages and you should satisfy the following competencies:
- Teaching qualified with at least 5 years experience
- Experience of Science curriculum design, writing schemes of work, etc
- Training, assessing and developing Science teachers
- Creative self-starter with a passion for Science writing.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work flexibly.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Be a team player with a positive attitude
- Ability to manage multiple projects and the ability to engage and interact with individuals, establishments and research organisations.
- Ability to delegate, prioritise and maintain a high level of productivity in a dynamic and developing organisation
- Driver and car owner.
- Graduate in Astronomy / Astrophysics ideally
- STEM Ambassador / Science presenter
- Well established local network
- Knowledge of the strategic use of social media, content management and other forms of web publishing.
- Knowledge with effective management strategies
This is a key role in progressing the educational outreach of Kielder Observatory and you should have a positive and proactive attitude in being an ambassador for the organisation to:
- Develop a range of online learning materials, including documents, quizzes, discussion activities and videos.
- Design and produce online learning courses for teachers at different stages from short courses to extended programmes.
- Manage the learning management system including setting up users, courses, and groups and uploading materials.
- Provide training and support for participants and colleagues in the use of our learning management systems and online courses.
- Work with internal and external subject matter experts to produce specialist content.
- Creating online assessment activities.
- Design and develop online learning content based on existing paper-based materials.
- Organize and where necessary, support a range of online activities for participants, including webinars, polls, journal clubs and forums.
- Monitoring and analysing data on platform usage and course / material access to inform future decisions.
- Provide guidance and inspiration for colleagues on the possibilities for using online learning to enhance our offer for participants and develop teacher’s skills and knowledge.
Flexible locations throughout the North East of England
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity
Please e mail via the button below with an up to date CV and a covering letter to include why you are interested and any dates that you are unavailable for interview.