Professionals Regulation Lawyer - 12 month FTC
This is an exciting opportunity to make a positive contribution to a dynamic, forward-thinking and successful team. As well as delivering high quality oral and written advocacy, you will provide support, guidance and advice to team members about fitness to practise cases and broader regulatory issues.
Gaining unique professional regulatory experience, this role goes beyond the normal scope required of a regulatory advocate. Recent investigations have involved issues about EU law, the Information Commissioner, whistleblowing and covert surveillance. Our lawyers are expected to contribute to (and, where appropriate, lead) wider GPhC initiatives and projects, have a strong team ethos and work collaboratively with GPhC Inspectors.
You will be responsible for:
- Working proactively with colleagues to develop investigation plans, draft allegations, providing advice and recommendations for the disposal of cases.
- Progressing cases referred by way of Interim Order or Direct Referral, working with colleagues to conduct a full and thorough investigation within the target timeframes.
- Following referral of cases by the Registrar or IC, progressing cases to a hearing, complying with case management directions and GPhC KPIs.
- Effectively managing, preparing and presenting cases before the GPhC's Fitness to Practise Committee including all pre- and post-hearing activities.
- Ensuring compliance with the GPhC's objectives and targets around quality, timeliness and cost, recording data accurately and assisting with the production of any management information.
- Providing general advice and/or training regarding legal matters, case preparation, disclosure etc.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of fitness to practise, regulatory case law and best practice including any guidance issued by the PSA and briefing colleagues accordingly.
The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 5 years PQE as a solicitor or barrister, with a strong track record of advocacy before a variety of tribunals. You will have experience of successfully managing your own caseload, plus have a high level of skill and experience in both case investigation and the construction of cases for hearings. The ability to assimilate, understand and interpret complex case law and legislation allied to a strong work, team and customer focussed ethic will be vital to your success. You should be able to demonstrate up to date knowledge of current developments in the professional regulatory field.
You can expect a balanced work environment plus an excellent benefits package that includes 30 days holiday (plus bank holidays), access to the NHS pension(subject to a qualifying period), subsidised gym membership, subsidised canteen and access to private healthcare.
If you have the required experience, skills and positive attitude and would like to join us, please send your CV and covering letter explaining your suitability for this post by email via the button below.
We value the diversity of our workforce and welcome applications from all sections of the community.