Senior IT Architect – Cloud Applications
Who we are looking for:
Someone who has a broad understanding of cloud application and infrastructure technologies. Someone who is able to carry out a range of technology, design and architecture responsibilities including solution architecture on complex projects. This is a senior technical role that will also expect successful candidates to engage and work with senior stakeholders across PwC Business Units.
About the role:
This is a senior technical role within PwC’s internal IT team. There are four main aspects to the role:
- Act as a cloud application lead for an enterprise-wide migration to the cloud.
- Provide consultancy across the business on the adoption of cloud.
- Act as a solution architect on major programmes, providing technical direction on the use of cloud.
- Represent the UK in Global discussions relating to cloud architecture, patterns and standards.
- Ensuring that appropriate decisions are made during the migration to cloud around where to host and which cloud services to use for each application etc and to ensure consistency with other projects deploying to the cloud.
- Maintain not only a deep knowledge of cloud technologies but also a broad awareness of technology across applications and infrastructure, different use cases, strengths/weaknesses, best fit technologies and organizational readiness
- Provide strategic consulting to C-level executives and senior managers on a range of cloud topics including different Cloud and Cloud services.
- Provide timely and relevant feedback to internal groups responsible for developing, enhancing, positioning and designing Cloud-based solutions or platforms so that they can proactively respond to issues and opportunities.
- Deliver architectural recommendations and high level designs in support of major IT projects and programmes.
- Cultivate links with relevant 3rd party influencers, analysts and specialists and communicate the thinking of these individuals and groups to senior stakeholders within UK IT.
- Provide technical mentoring across IT and into the business around the use of cloud.
- Provide strategic context, direction, roadmaps and standards, in the areas of cloud computing. Leverage and influence change programmes to develop/enhance the standards, policies/guidelines whilst driving adoption of standards.
- Work closely with internal staff and your external network to capture and share new and emerging best-practices in cloud.
- Provide thought-leadership on Cloud and its application within PwC to support existing and new use cases, delivering compelling keynote presentations at events; authoring blogs and articles through internal channels; publishing white papers; and engaging with relevant media, including social media.
- Proficient in analysing customer requirements, understanding their business drivers and articulating value-added solutions.
- Experience of having transformed a traditional organization to a 'platform' style architecture for flexible business models particularly around Digital and Cloud. Create and? readily showcase demonstrations and develop Proof of Concepts with prospective customers thereby enhancing adoption of strategic Cloud solutions (SaaS over PaaS over Containers over IaaS).
- Able to work closely with architectural, development and engineering communities and possess an understanding of the benefits Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment techniques.
- Experience of modernising legacy systems and enabling modern business models.
- Able to identify, understand and quantify technical risk and advise on strategies to mitigate that risk whilst adopting Cloud technologies and services. Establish strong and influential relationships working with internal information security and risk specialists.
- Experience of developing (working with internal groups and third parties) and maintaining Cloud migration methodologies and best practices that will be used to migrate application workloads and services from legacy data centre and machine rooms to public cloud providers.
- Able to contribute to thought leadership of specific application technologies.
- Able to proactively take technology ideas and solutions to senior people within the business
- Experience and expertise working with Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform. AWS experience would also be desirable although not of primary importance.
- Experience of integrating legacy systems with the cloud.
- Education Level: Undergraduate Degree (e.g., BA, BSc) preferred or equivalent experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and listening, with the ability to interact with and present to a variety of senior-level executives, both internal and external to the company.
- An ability to collaborate across an IT organisation to drive change.
- Experience of project and implementation management areas.
- Certification in specific technology areas is desirable but not essential.
Internal firm services
In order to deliver a first-class service to our clients, we need first-class support internally. Internal firm services is a network of specialist support professionals and includes marketing, recruitment, human capital, finance, technology, learning and development, procurement, to name but a few. Each team plays a vital role in making sure we have all the right resources, services and technology across our business.
The skills we look for in future employees
All our people need to demonstrate the skills and behaviours that support us in delivering our business strategy. This is important to the work we do for our business, and our clients. These skills and behaviours make up our global leadership framework, ‘The PwC Professional’ and are made up of five core attributes; whole leadership, technical capabilities, business acumen, global acumen and relationships.
We work in a changing world which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool, as well as those who reflect the diverse nature of our society. And we aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths. Creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business and as an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.