Java Developer - Bolton
Java Developer - Bolton
A growing financial services firm based in Greater Manchester are looking to appoint a Java Developer to join a small team developing their core platform. The client are developing their dealer management platform around core Java with a Swing GUI on a MySQL back-end, with at least 5 years worth of project work to upgrade and scale this platform already planned.
They are looking for a Java Developer with at least 12 months of core Java development experience to join the team, ideally people with a passion for technology who can contribute ideas to the team on open-source frameworks & best practice.
If you value a work-life balance, then this is the company for you. The client operate a 35 hour working week (9am - 5pm, with 1 hour for lunch) and work hard to maintain a relaxed, low-pressure culture. Over the last 2 years, the development team has doubled in sized with a 2 year roadmap to continue to grow the team. The wider organisation is planning to double in size over the next 2 years, having acquired additional office space.
You'll be developing a core Fund Management platform that is in essence the ecosystem that supports the business. Project work includes refreshing the technology to enable the platform to scale, but also adding new features to automate client requests but also introduce new frameworks
The team practice Kanban to manage requests from the business, with the client practicing TDD for development. The Java Developer will be largely be developing new features, combined with small change request and some user-support.
Minimum of 1 year of Core Java commercial experience
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Core Java
- Good understanding of OOD and Java design patterns.
- Source code management e.g. Git or similar
- SQL and Relational databases e.g. MySQL or similar
- Java Swing UI development a bonus
- Java development environments e.g. NetBeans or similar
- Full understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong team player
- 7% non-contributory pension
- Annual discretionary bonus scheme
- AXA Private Healthcare Scheme
- Death in Service at 5 x annual salary
- 35 hour working week
- Training for IOC and other relevant qualifications
- Exam completion bonus £500 (IOC)
- Study leave
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle 2 work scheme
- Eye test reimbursement
- Additional 1.5 days discretionary Christmas leave
- Christmas party and paid for social events during the year
- 13 weeks fully paid maternity leave
- 2 weeks fully paid paternity leave
- Perkbox membership - access to more than a hundred rewards, ranging from free food in major UK restaurants, to movie tickets, to phone insurance and more.
Oscar Technology Limited is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.