The role of Procurement
To work within a department, based at our Birmingham HQ on the Birmingham Business Park (near to the NEC and Birmingham International Railway Station):
- Develop and build relationships to ensure a high level of customer service is provided to clients.
- Maintain a high level of awareness of market fluctuations in rates and charge.
- Negotiate and re-negotiate rates with carriers that are beneficial to customers.
- Provide quotations to customers, within short timescales, taking account of transit times, routes, and opportunities for minimising customer costs by utilising sharing between carriers.
- Maintain profit and loss data for all accounts.
- Requests and queries are resolved and actioned quickly and efficiently.
- Communication with overseas agents and clients is clear precise and effective.
- Accurate & timely reporting to department manager.
- Take ownership of own training and development so as to continuously improve and develop, including training new starters where required.
Requirements for the Procurment
- Experience in freight forwarding including working for an independent.
- Experience of freighting costs involving shipments from Far East, Indian Sub-Continent and/or USA.
- Familiarity with the use of all forms of haulage, sea, road, rail and air.
- Experience of managing client/customer relations with Good verbal and written communication, to provide a professional image to customers and suppliers.
- The ability to liaise with a global network of agents, suppliers, shipping lines, hauliers.
- A good awareness of spreadsheets and the ability to produce reports and use formulas to manipulate data.
- The ability to grow repeat business and develop new opportunities.
- International experience and exposure plus the ability to work with a global network of agents, suppliers, shipping lines, hauliers, and rail and air lines in other countries.
- The capacity to work in a high pressure environment whilst remaining calm when under pressure.
- The skill to prioritise a large number of tasks to ensure accuracy, and deliver results with great attention to detail and a high sense of urgency.
- A positive attitude and good problem solving skills.
- The drive to succeed and want to make a contribution to the business.
- Foreign languages would be an added advantage.