Digital Java API Developer
British Gas is looking for Java API Developers to join our Digital Team in Staines. You will be part of the British Gas Information Systems (IS) Digital team which delivers British Gas’ customer facing web site www.britishgas.co.uk. You will join our Web Transformation programme which is redeveloping the web site, moving from a server-side page architecture to client-side functional web pages that access data via a suite of server-side API endpoints. This role is to carry out development work to implement server side APIs in a Microservices architecture with our existing Java development team.
- Provide a highly proficient knowledge of Java technologies, open source Java development and Java web architectures.
- Contribute to the activities and approach to migrate existing API endpoints from the legacy Java platform to the new Java 8 Microservices platform.
- Work with the server-side development team and the Lead Digital Architect to own and continue to develop the Java architecture roadmap to align with the overall Digital technology roadmap.
- Work co-operatively with existing colleagues to continue to develop the Java architecture.
- Is knowledge about latest trends and technologies and communicates with colleagues regarding how these might support the team objectives.
- Desire to learn and enhance skills to support the team.
- Attend the daily standups for the technical workstreams they are responsible for.
- Contribute to team meetings & troubleshoots development and production Java problems across the Digital environments.
- Contribute to team best practices as part of a model of continuous improvement.
- Troubleshoot development and production problems across the technically diverse Digital platforms
- Coach and support other team members, and learn from them in turn.
- Ask for help when necessary and reach out into 3rd parties, vendors and the Open Source community to further the ends of the team
- Actively work to improve the security posture of the application.
The ideal candidate will be a strong team player who displays a can-do attitude when working with the varied team customers. A key characteristic of the individual will be a good aptitude for work in this new technology area - which includes adaptability and courage.
- Background in software development and technology for public facing web sites.
- Extensive experience of Java development using Open Source Java components and frameworks.
- Detailed knowledge of the use of REST APIs for web technology, OAuth 2.0 and associated authentication and authorisation flows.
- Experience of Java Microservices in a production application with Spring Cloud, Spring Boot.
- Beneficial to have knowledge of Netflix cloud OSS, Cloud Foundry, Docker, and other Microservices-related components.
- Developing for Web security and performance.
- Microservices - capacity management and planning in a multi-node production estate.
- Experience organising and performing prototyping and proof of concepts
- Experience with Agile methodologies (TDD, SCRUM, Kanban, etc)
- Experience with automated configuration management, deployment and testing solutions
- Experience working with IS Operations and Infrastructure teams to introduce change to the live estate.
- Strong communication skills; able to convey complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to identify & take opportunities to improve productivity within the team.
- Experience sharing knowledge and working in a multi-disciplinary team, working well with colleagues to reach consensus and agree a common understanding and approach.
Competitive Salary, Plus benefits
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button. Please upload your cover letter and CV as one document.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
Agencies: This role is being handled by the Centrica recruitment team, NO agency contact is required. Centrica operates a preferred supplier list and when required, will source candidates through these agencies
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/79121837